• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle

Ocelot

NAXJA Forum User
Before anyone asks, I have searched, and it seems like I'm at least in good company.

My cherokee has been Idling very oddly lately, especially with the colder weather. On a cold start she'll idle just fine, but once you start driving it'll start to idle at 1500rpm even after you get to normal operating temperature. Once it gets to normal operating temperature, if you shut it down and then restart it, the idle will go to 3000 rpm, and sometimes it will stay there, and other times after about 10-15 seconds it'll go back down to 1200-1500 rpm. During the summer it would idle fine at about 700-800 rpm all the time, no problems, although it would still do the high rpm hot start every once and a while, but it would go back down to 700-800 rpm pretty quickly.

I have cleaned the tps and throttle body and from what I've read it might be the iac? If it is the iac what should I do? I read something about disconnecting it, should I do that? Does anyone have some pictures of where the iac is?

Any help or ideas as to what is causing this would be much appreciated!

T.I.A.

Cheers

Cheapest thing to try is to disconnect the battery, turn the headlights on, wait about 15-30 min., shut headlights off, re-connect battery and see if the issue is gone.

Even if it's not, it only cost your a little time.

Worked for me. Good luck to you!!

:peace:

Ocelot said:
Before anyone asks, I have searched, and it seems like I'm at least in good company.

My cherokee has been Idling very oddly lately, especially with the colder weather. On a cold start she'll idle just fine, but once you start driving it'll start to idle at 1500rpm even after you get to normal operating temperature. Once it gets to normal operating temperature, if you shut it down and then restart it, the idle will go to 3000 rpm, and sometimes it will stay there, and other times after about 10-15 seconds it'll go back down to 1200-1500 rpm. During the summer it would idle fine at about 700-800 rpm all the time, no problems, although it would still do the high rpm hot start every once and a while, but it would go back down to 700-800 rpm pretty quickly.

I have cleaned the tps and throttle body and from what I've read it might be the iac? If it is the iac what should I do? I read something about disconnecting it, should I do that? Does anyone have some pictures of where the iac is?

Any help or ideas as to what is causing this would be much appreciated!

T.I.A.

Cheers

What year XJ? Take off the throttle body, remove all the sensors. Clean them until they look like new. If that doesn't help you may need a new TPS/IAC.

next to your throttle body there are two wire connectiors, disconnect them and blow out any dust in there, this should work temporarily, you might want to try using that clear jell that increases conductivity. this works for me, and my best friend, he has an '89, and I have a '90.

Back