• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms or Drop brackets?

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
I all, the title pretty much asked the question. I have been searching and reading for the past several days to find this answer, I haven't found a conclusive one. I have a 4" lift on my DD 2x4 Jeep. The ride is kind of harsh up front. I have read that the RE drop brackets make the ride better, being that they bring the control arms back to a more level position. So to the people that use the drop brackets do you like them? I know I'm in a different boat than most of you, this is my DD, my "off-road Jeep" is a 4x4 and I am still working on the axles, anyway, would you guys suggest to me what would be better for a DD that is on the paved road 100% of the time, drop brackets or extended/adjustable lower's.

Thanks,

Alex

I would have to say go with the DB. I recently installed them on mine and I can't believe the difference in the ride up front.

Do the drop brackets.

experience and a couple of comments:
i had the chance to drive my rig on odessa trail near calico Ca. before and after drop brackets inside about 3 months time. the drop brackets were a way better improvement. stair steps/waterfalls are way easier as the arms will rotate up and over instead of trying to push back and then eventually slam over. that said ,for some crazy reason when we did the rubicon in mid june the things hit a zillion times. it's odd because they really have never hit much anywhere else, moab,stoddard,big bear. (at least no more than the stockers would have anyway). you'd think that the rubicon express drops would be great on the rubicon, lol! anyway, i second (third?) the motions to run with the drop brackets. mine went in pretty easy , i'm not sure about other brand brackets but i would certainly make sure to get the back plate for the rubi's also , it goes in mostly without issues and i still have my custom 4X4 rails in place.

Thanks guys, except jes

I appreciate the responses and the help that I get on NAXJA's site. You haven't steered me wrong yet!

Oh, one more question, do you use your stock control arms with the drop brackets? If so, should I get "new" ones? New bushings etc?

Thanks again,

Alex

Last edited:
I did have something to add.
You said...
ZombiE said:
...what would be better for a DD that is on the paved road 100%
...and I said...
Jes said:
Get rid of the 4" lift.
...what, am I no entitled to my opinion? In my opinion getting rid of the 4" lift would be the best option. Why drive a lifted vehicle if it'll never be taken offroad?

BTW, nice little edit there. ;)

I agree with Jes. Lifting a vehicle and never taking it offroad is a waste. ---------Kyle

ZombiE said:
Thanks guys, except jes

I appreciate the responses and the help that I get on NAXJA's site. You haven't steered me wrong yet!

Oh, one more question, do you use your stock control arms with the drop brackets? If so, should I get "new" ones? New bushings etc?

Thanks again,

Alex

The RE arms I got w/ my drop brackets are stock length, so I assume using the stockers would work. Anyone know for sure?

Yeah jes, I reconsidered that statement after I re-read it :D

Anyway I always get a snide comment or two when I post about my DD. I should be used to it by now. Like I said before I'm in a different boat than 99.9% of you guys when it comes to my DD.

I like the look of a lifted Jeep. My trial rig has 6.5" of lift and that is what I use off road. I liked the look so much after lifting the trail rig that I lifted my DD. I'm sorry that a couple of you find that a waste but "To each his own"
and if you have the money? Why not?

Alex

BrentNClemson said:
The RE arms I got w/ my drop brackets are stock length, so I assume using the stockers would work. Anyone know for sure?
I wouldn't want to take them offroad too many times on stock arms but the original poster said that won't be the case...that's his choice, not y'alls. Go with the Drop Brackets, use the stock arms (at least the UCA) and enjoy the much better ride.

Thanks all,

I installed them last night and took it for a test drive. WOW what a difference. It really does make it 100000 better over bumps and pot holes. Now I have one question, I got an alignment after I lifted it, so do I need another one after installing the DB's?

Thanks again for all the replies,

Alex

it definatly would not hurt to have it realigned again since your mounting points for the control arms are in a new location now

Glad ya like 'em; it's a totally different ride now, isn't it? I second the need for a realignment as well...

Back