• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No fuel? HELP? DOA on the highway!

Atom

NAXJA Forum User
I have this problem with my 1996 xj that just keeps getting worst! I am driving down the highway and the motor just stops! I pull over and it cranks forever but it just won't start. The last time I just held the gas petal open and cranked it for about 5 minutes. I then got out and smelled the exhaust. No gas in the exhaust. Then about 20 minutes latter it starts right up- no problem.
1. I changed the fuel filter 2 oil changes ago (6K miles ago or so)
2. Does the fuel pump go bad intermittently like this? I thought that when they go- they just quit working.
3. Is there any sensors that could be involved? (B.T.W. check engine light never comes on.)
4. What the fish?
Any help would be much appreciated...
Thanks

I had a fuel related starting problem on my 1990 4.0 XJ. Sometimes it would shut off and then sometimes it just start right up. Check to see how much pressure you are getting at the fuel rail. My problem ended up being a combination of a bad fuel pump and a bad fuel pressure regulator.

I would gess CPS or crank position sensor is going bad or has a bad connection. I had a similar problem with my 87 a little while ago. I just about went crazy trying to find out what it is and unplugged and reconnected a bunch of connections including cps and now i haven't had a lick of trouble since. *fingers crossed* Need to go through again to confirm what the problem was... good luck

look through the old archives......I seem to remember someone else having the same problem.

Sounds like the CPS. Mine did that two different times, once it was the fuel filter and the other time it was the CPS. But since you said you replaced the fuel filter already, id rule that out. I changed my fuel filter quite awhile ago after it went bad and the fuel pump is still working great.

I had an MJ that pulled the same stunt on me. Ended up being a loose fuse in the power distribution box under the hood. Cannot remember which one it was for sure ... IIRC it was the one for the fuel pump. You might check them.

Good Luck ...

Les

Back