• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark Plug Colour

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Need a tune-up expert to answer this on. 5000 kms ago I installed the yellow mustang injectors into my 1990 4.0 litre jeep, the jeep runs fantastic,better idle,better gas milage etc. Pulled the plugs a couple of days ago and they were white instead of the normal tan colour they have always been. These are new plugs that have aprox 10km. on them. Why are my plugs white??????

like white as in the "new color" white or like crusty white- could be preignition if thats the case- you use plugs with the right heat range?- yea I know I dunno what im talkin bout- just pullin this off the back cover of my Haynes manual :D

White means LEAN!

Previous poster was correct,white means lean but the only thing I changed was the injectors, if anything I would expect the engine to run rich. Where is that Dr. Dyno guy????? I need a techno expert who knows alot about injectors.

White chalky means REAL lean.... did you unplug the battery so it had to relearn the system again ?? I've been told it makes no difference by several people with OBDII but I know my 98 ran strange for about a day after I pulled the factory battery and put in the red top and it did it again months later after I disconnected the battery and put in the gauge cluster.

dothedew24_7 said:
but if its so lean how can it be running strong like he says it is? :confused:

It is all relative, if it was running richer or correctly it might also be running even stronger. Running an engine very lean is not a good thing mechanically but is, I think, a good thing environmentally...
If your injectors are running like crud to begin with and you replace them with something that runs a bit better thats an improvment in the seat of the pants but they may not be running the way they are supposed to. This swapping injectors between different models is still a new idea to me but eventually I'll get my brain around it....

Back