• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Driveshaft

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting the R.E. hack & tack kit, but I'm tight on money. So where is a good/cheaper place to get a longer driveshft for my XJ???

Front shaft and an adapter, needs to be 4.o aw4

CW said:
You can run a front d-shaft from a 4.0L automatic xj. Any other tranny is shorter and the d-shaft will be too short.

Providing he's within the usual 5-6" lift that it will accomodate. ;) I've got about 7" and I run this setup with an AA SYE kit. Shaft mounted right to it, but the shaft is juuuuust a bit too short to wheel with.

CW said:
You can run a front d-shaft from a 4.0L automatic xj. Any other tranny is shorter and the d-shaft will be too short.

If I was to use a front driveshaft from an auto 4.0L XJ would I have to modifiy it in any way or does it bolt right on? Also is this a good fix or will it cause problems?

Thanks

Wouldnt the Front Driveshaft be shorter than the rear? Otherwise, is it a bolt-on?

Centrevillemx said:
Wouldnt the Front Driveshaft be shorter than the rear? Otherwise, is it a bolt-on?

its just a lil shorter.. an inch.. mabye 2... mabye 4... why dont you measure it... i only have my front stock D-shaft out.. and i dont have a stock Dshaft anymore...

Why not out of an auto (AW4) with non-HO? Is there really a difference in front shaft between the two?

Root Moose said:
Why not out of an auto (AW4) with non-HO? Is there really a difference in front shaft between the two?
Nobody said anything about HO or Renix. It will work from either.

And yes, CVMX, the front DS will be longer if you are cutting several inches off your TC shaft and replacing a now-too-short "solid" shaft with it..

hmmm.... After doing my HD SYE, I'm running a shaft from a full size Bronco, complete with 1330 U-Joints....
I run about 7"-8" lift tho...
Maybe the front shaft?

Measure what you need and hit the junkyard

TDeaton13 said:
If I was to use a front driveshaft from an auto 4.0L XJ would I have to modifiy it in any way or does it bolt right on? Also is this a good fix or will it cause problems?

Thanks

Yes,you would have to change it to the flange style output,the front uses a yoke style!Length may also need to be changed(as earlier stated,you havent told us your lift yet)!

i have the hack and tap with the 242,i just went and had a shaft made in town..hacked it installed flange,took measurements...bam...had shaft made...||charles||

a driveshaft shop..look in your phone book..its like a tom woods but i had f350 ford ends put in,with slip yoke at 1 end...lifetime warr...||charles||

got a phone number and address for that place?

Back