• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 TB spacer

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
I am toying around with the idea of a spacer for my 1988 throttle body. Since I am not aware of anyone selling these, I am gonna make my own. A few ???'s though.
1: What, if any, are the performance gains?
2: What is the thickness of the ones available for the 91+?
3: Also, since we are taking about the TBI, what about boring out the trottle body?

I remember there being an article on boring out your own TB but can't remember where I saw it. I do remember it being done on a floor mounted drill press but thats about it. As for the spacer, maybe, but I have never been a big fan of stuff like that. Kind of like pump more fuel in you better have a way to get it out the other end. I did a dodge 440, put a bigger holley on it, 650 to a daytona, no real improvement until I put the headers and dual turbo mufflers on, THEN I noticed the difference big time and became very cautious with the skinny pedal or I would have been working just to buy gas...

Im thinking AJ might be making one...otherwise, www.xjarmor.com has one, but its expensive!

I have one from XJ-Armor, bored tb that is. It wasn't that much to have him do mine. The spacer is 1/2" think. XJ-Armor is coming out with a spacer built in with the TB and the whole this is bored.
I can say the old girl has some extra power with it. If you do a seach for tb spacers, you should come up with a art on ones that were made for pre 91's. It's a good read. But I don't have a link to it anymore.
If you wanted to bore it yourself, XJ-Armor has the larger butterfly. Worth the money to me. Juice

www.xj-armor.com

Actually, a TBI means "Throttle Body Injection". That's a carburator with 2 injectors in it. Since yours is a 88', you have fuel injection. 6 individual injectors on a fuel rail. Big differents. But then again I ran around for 15 years thinking a "Dingleberry" was slang for a stupid person when its actually that piece of turd that sticks in your butt-crack hair that creates those skid marks in your undies...

Who said anything about TBI? TB is just an abbreviation for "throttle body" wich is what he's asking about. But if ya want to get real technical, your wrong too, EFI is what his motor has anyway, you may want to check your underwear..... :dunce:

Sorry. I could have sworn that line number 3 said quote,
"3: Also, since we are taking about the TBI, what about boring out the trottle body?". I don't know, maybe its just my computer that is putting the "I" in "TBI".

Time to change my drawers again. Later...

wasnt there 2 engines in the 88's? a 2.8l and the 4l? i think the 2.8 was TBI and the 4 is MPFI.

oh and if were talking MPFI, all the TB does is let in air right? so wahts the point in lifting the TB? i dont see how that helps the air and fuel mix better, or maybe im missing something...

Last edited:
Back