• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LIft choices for 2"

which 2" lift is better quality

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbureau

NAXJA Forum User
Alright there are many ways it seems to lift an xj, and I am a little confused about the various way to lift them,

I wNt no more than 2" lift on the XJ because I haul with it from time to time and 2" will give me a little more capabilities on tha trail than stock height (far it being a rock climber...)

Which one would you suggest is better; (poll below with choices)
suggestion post from owners of 2" lifts would be appreciated.

rear- blocks, aal, new spring pack, longer shackels- mix and match
front- do they make 2" coils?- coil spacer
isnt the ome 2" like 700$ in quadratec?

replacement HD coils from most parts compaines are about 2" lift IIRC (JC Whitney)

Blocks can be had in 2" heights
AAL can be had in 2" heights
Full Leaf packs can be had in 2" lift heights
Shackles can be had in 2" lift heights

Coils (ZJ) will net roughly 1" lift
1" spacers can be had
2" spacers can be had
2" lift coild can be had from some companies...
EDIT:
check the rocklizzard page for a great BB idea that works (aparently, i have no expierence)

here is a good thread, the best 2 links that i have found yet are in it
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35638&highlight=Budget+Boost
Welcome to NAXJA - try searching n00b :compwork: :geek:

Last edited:
coil spacer in front... and an RE FULL LENGTH AAL in the rear.. yes it is designed to give3.5" of lift but if you replace the original second leaf with the AAL it should bringit down a bit.... a short AAL will kill your springs relatively quick and ride very hard.... i like the shocks with the RE kit.. call an RE dealer (look in the vendors forum) and ask about swapping the full length AAL for the shorter one.. may be a few $$ more but its a long term fix not a band aid..

RE 2" Spacer with stock coils/
Get a cheap set of stock leaves off this site (or JU, Pirate, junk yard). Take the main leaf, cut off the eyes, leaving as much material as possible. Throw it in your existing pack below the main. Just like an add a leaf, only really long and will not stiffen the ride. Adds about 1" lift, and adds a ton of support to the eyes.
Rustys 1.5" shackle.
And some good shocks. Doetsch Tech, Napa, whatever. YJ rear brakeline, reroute the front, and your good.

Nihil said:
RE 2" Spacer with stock coils/
Get a cheap set of stock leaves off this site (or JU, Pirate, junk yard). Take the main leaf, cut off the eyes, leaving as much material as possible. Throw it in your existing pack below the main. Just like an add a leaf, only really long and will not stiffen the ride. Adds about 1" lift, and adds a ton of support to the eyes.
Rustys 1.5" shackle.
And some good shocks. Doetsch Tech, Napa, whatever. YJ rear brakeline, reroute the front, and your good.
wont need brake line mods for 3"
im running 4" rear and 5.5" front and dont nead anytihng in the rear (yes i flexed it out)
the fronts - well my brake lines are limiting straps there...
then again, mine is a 92, 2-door 4.0L HO, AX-15, 231, "Off Road Package," Hawaii purchased car - how many characteristics have i found that are different than everone elses? a ton...

Its just good insurance. For a $30 rear brakeline, and about 30 seconds of drilling and bending in the front theres no real reason not to, at least that i can see.

XJ_ranger said:
wont need brake line mods for 3"
im running 4" rear and 5.5" front and dont nead anytihng in the rear (yes i flexed it out)
the fronts - well my brake lines are limiting straps there...
then again, mine is a 92, 2-door 4.0L HO, AX-15, 231, "Off Road Package," Hawaii purchased car - how many characteristics have i found that are different than everone elses? a ton...

Nihil said:
Its just good insurance. For a $30 rear brakeline, and about 30 seconds of drilling and bending in the front theres no real reason not to, at least that i can see.
agreed, just saying that its not mandatory...:D

yieks! :conceited

OME the ride is better than stock, but the price is high compaired to AAL and spacers, I loved my OME.

No comparison. The OME lift is going to be the best option. Very nice quality, ride, performance, etc, etc. The best thing going.

Not sure why you think towing with a 2" lift will be better than with a 3" lift? Depends on what tires you want to put under it in my mind. If you want a cheaper 2" lift then you should be able to find tons of info on previouse posts or threads.

HTH,
Michael

pbureau said:
Alright there are many ways it seems to lift an xj, and I am a little confused about the various way to lift them,

I wNt no more than 2" lift on the XJ because I haul with it from time to time and 2" will give me a little more capabilities on tha trail than stock height (far it being a rock climber...)

Well I have researched it in the last 4 days, alot of the post where old, so I wanted to see if the opinion on the Rubicon vs OME was still the same , and it does seem that penny for penny, the OME will be a more complete and more pleasurable ride.

As for hauling with a 2 " lift, its the fact I dont want to haul 4000lbs of trailer and horses on a 3" lift that is more the issue at hand. I am thinking safety at 2" is not as much an issue than higher lifts.

Last edited:
Just do a bb for that and keep it cheap, easily under $100 or so. Just get a 2" spacer for the front and a 2" block for the rear or aftermarket shackles for the rear and be done with it. It would suck to have to pay 100's of $$$ on just a 2" lift because once you start, it's hard to stop. I would suggest either the bb for the 2" or get a 3" lift cheap with 3" coils and a aal or a better yet combo of a block and shackle over the aal because they sag and ride rough. Don't complicate it too much, that amt of lift is easy and should stay cheap. :laugh3:
When you go over 4" or so you need to worry about a new trackbar, control arms, shocks, etc etc. and it gets expensive.

Check out cheapxj.com for cheap lifting ideas. This guy has some good/cheap mods.

if you are towing 4000lbs of tailer and horses around then you want new rear leaf packs. I originally bought a teraflex budget boost for my 2001 XJ but after awhile i couldnt tow anything because it killed my leaf springs to the point where i couldnt get the hitch of the trailer onto my ball (yes my rear was riding that low) it was kinda pathetic. So i went with new OME heavy load springs. while it may be a very very very expensive lift it is worth every penny and the ride and quality is great. If you still want a bb go with aal's instead of shackles, when towing the shakles will kill your stock packs quicker then an aal's

pbureau said:
thank you that was the confirmation I was looking for at this point, so EMU it will be...

I wanted to thank you all for your insights on this idea.

You won't regret it. I've had XJ customers come in wanting the best 'small' lift and walk out with the OME. I haven't heard of anyone coming back not impressed with it. I'm sure you also know there are different rear leaves and shocks to choose from, right?

Yes I was considering getting the heavy duty ones for the rear (one of the major point that attracted me to the EMU in the first place even though they are expensive.) There is a Jeep Add-on Shop in Wylie Texas, not far from where I am, I am going to enquire if they can order and install it for me (I am too short on time and afraid I will mess it up) if not I will get it ordered and get them to install them (they do installs)

again thank you for the info

pbureau said:

I JUST INSTALLED A ROCKY ROAD OUTFITTERS 2 IN---I LOVE IT--SAME FACTORY RIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back