• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use shackles on tow hook mounting brackets?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide if I want a front hitch or C4x4 front tow hooks and thought of something. Could you use bumper shackle brackets with the tow hook brackets and use shackles where the tow hooks would normally be? Would this be advisable?

Also, C4x4 tow hooks vs. front receiver hitch...which one is stronger, easier to install, etc. etc.?

I believe C4x4 sells D-rings that attach to their brackets in lieu of the hooks. Check their web site.

The front receiver would be stronger, because it distributes the stress through both "frame" rails. Also less prone to bending on side pulls.

im a fan of the front reciever bumper- because the Warn Multimount system and the ability to put a winch front, rear depending on the needs, and a strap can be hooked up there. The front hidden hitch reciever, i dont like because it hangs too low and gets rid of my front skid...

now if someone would only make a rock rail set with recievers on the sides, then that would be PIMP!

-XJ_Ranger

EDIT:
also might look into www.rigidco.com i like their front bumpers looks
AJ's offroad had been highly praised on this and other forums, i have no expierence, but he was nice on the phone and answered all ym questions....
too bad i dont have unlimited funds...

C4x4 do sell D ring brackets that can be bolted onto their mounting brackets instead of tow hooks. They charged me $50. They appear to be good quality and fitted easily. However, if you have an air dam(?) you will need to remove it or cut it.

In hindsight, I should have done a front reciever.. It would be awesome. And probably wouldn't cost much more than a set of tow hooks.. I'd just relaly hold on the money and get an kickass front bumper, things I should have done.. *grumbles*

I am using the c4x4 tow hook brackets and the adapter for shackles, it works well, and even with a few hard side pulls hasnt been a problem. as far as the air dam, it definitely would be in the way, you could cut out where the brackets are, or just remove it completely (which is what I did....;-))

Back