• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with shackle!

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I'm in the middle of putting in new shackles on my 95 in a parking lot! Of course there's trouble! :gonnablow
The top bolt holding the shackle is caught up in the bushing and I've decided to cut the whole ****ing thing off. I just need to know if a 4-1/2 inch cutting disk on my angle grinder will fit in enough to cut it off. Thanks!
:firedevil

nhrocker said:
I'm in the middle of putting in new shackles on my 95 in a parking lot! Of course there's trouble! :gonnablow
The top bolt holding the shackle is caught up in the bushing and I've decided to cut the whole ****ing thing off. I just need to know if a 4-1/2 inch cutting disk on my angle grinder will fit in enough to cut it off. Thanks!
:firedevil
Is it seized in the shackle? if so how do you plan to cut it off and then remove the bolt? Since you're in a parking lot plan everything 3 steps ahead so that you don't make a bad thing worse.

I managed to get it out with the help of a friend. Now just to buy new Grade 8 bolts to replace the stock ones. Those will work right?

yup, bring in the old bolt and spin a nut in the store on it, to make sure that your getting the right thread pitch and threads for the factory welded in nut that is still there.

i dont see how cutting the head off the bolt helped you, as it was still stuck in the factory weleded spot.

oooooh - i won my breaker bar auction
i=happy
:geek:

I think the bolts are harder than Grade 8, in any event, they're metric so you're looking at 8.8, 10.9, etc. I don't think you'll get a hard enough bolt at the hardware for this.

There are a few bolts that I always get from the dealer, spring bolts, trackbar bolts, and the like.

ChiXJeff said:
I think the bolts are harder than Grade 8, in any event, they're metric so you're looking at 8.8, 10.9, etc. I don't think you'll get a hard enough bolt at the hardware for this.

There are a few bolts that I always get from the dealer, spring bolts, trackbar bolts, and the like.

Exactly.
I believe that is a 10.9 bolt, with a tapered end.
Don't go to ACE hardware for a part that holds the axle under the rig, please.
I am sure the dealer will gouge you for 4-7 bones, but it's worth it, don't ya think.
People seem to think that 'Grade 8' is the equivalent of 'Unobtanium'.
There is life, and hardness, beyond Grade 8, and lots of whats out there is used in the automotive industry.
I gather metric bolts when I am at the yard, because you never know.
Those big CA, leaf, shackle, etc. bolts are not ones to take a chance on with regard to fit.
HTH.

ChiXJeff said:
I think the bolts are harder than Grade 8, in any event, they're metric so you're looking at 8.8, 10.9, etc. I don't think you'll get a hard enough bolt at the hardware for this. There are a few bolts that I always get from the dealer, spring bolts, trackbar bolts, and the like.
I didn't know that there were bolts stronger than Grade 8 or equivalent. What is stronger and where can I find them?
Thanks,
B.

Edit:
Thanks anyway, a 2 second google search just opened my eyes and my mind!
B.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm not going to get the Grade 8s like I thought. Thanks for the warning!
But that means I have 2 options. I was told of a place a half an hour from me that supposedly specializes in this type of stuff, or a Jeep dealership near that. Would it really be better to just get it from the dealership? It's in Waterville, ME and I have no idea of wether of not they'll have it.

I definitely don't want to do this and just be cheap, since it is my suspension!
What do you suggest and how much do you think all 4 shackle bolts will cost from the dealer?

yeah.. the spring bolts are one of my "dealer only" parts.. call the dealer.. they will most likely have to order them in for you.. most will be able to have them next-day... i got some in the spring and they were like $6 each... i have 2 new ones somewhere but your too far away to make a difference for you..

I'm really sorry about the problems, I warned you about stuff going wrong and I know it sucks not working in a garage with a full set of tools. Call both places ahead of time , specialty shop and dealership, and see if they can get them ordered without you having to prepay for them if they don't have them in stock. Some dealerships will do this , some won't . If you have to prepay and then wait a day you might want to try to contact a dealership via the internet and have them overnight the bolts to you. It would probably be costly but so is gas and time, don't know how desperate you are to get the job done. These are one of those items you are not going to get at the hardware store , dealer only item. I looked on Quadratec's site and I know they don't have the bolts or any other item they would come with.

I had planned on replacing the bolts, I just wanted to get some of them out to match them to new ones. Since I'm now getting them from the dealership I could have just gotten them before. Oh well. :D
I'll just try tomorrow to get them. Hopefully they'll have some. I need some other stuff as well so I'll just go see them and get some shopping done!

calling the dealer and specialty shop is a free solution that keeps your next post from being "the dealer didnt have it, now what?":phone:

sorry about the bad advice on the Gr8, i was unaware... My CA rig had no trouble with the bolt, came out in a jiffy... just took a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar to convince it...

best of luck:scottm:

-XJ_Ranger

The dealership did have them and for only $5 each! That's less than I was expecting. The drivers side is put back together, but I'm waiting to finish the other side and let it level out before I tighten them all the way.

Now I'm wondering whats up with it. The shackle to body bolt on the passengers side will turn with enough force, but if I don't turn it smoothly it kind of pops. The other side did it cause the bushing was a little seized up, but the bolt was out almost all the way. This side I've only gotten out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Could it be from a similar thing? It wouldn't have come out at all if it was going to break, right?

So I sprayed it with PB earlier and left it until now. I just tried it and it won't move at all. It's out just under 1/4 of an inch. I'm using like a 1-1/2 foot, 1/2 inch drive, breaker bar with a deep socket. The bottom bolt is moving around fine, but I left it in to hold everything in place. Any ideas?
:huh:

See if you can get a pry bar against the lip of the head of the bolt. Rest the other end of pry bar against lower part of shackle and see if you can get to move outwards at all. If I remember right you're replacing the shackle with a Daystar unit? That should have replacement poly bushings for the top part of shackle . If so you could burn out the rubber bushing and see if that helps . May just give you a better look at where the bolt is seized. Be careful with the propane , though. Clean off the P.B. blaster first.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add to this one.
My problem is that the top shackle bolt has come out about 3-4 inches and it keeps spinning. I dont think its rusted to the sleeve because it wouldnt have come out as far as it did. I cant get it out any further. I've tried a prybar on the bolts head, torching the bushing out....
I opened up the floorboard to the frame. it was hella rusting so i need to repair that any way. I just figured out another way to try but I ran out of sunlight. I can get another bolt, smaller in size, throught the nut in the frame. Pry on that which will apply force on the top shackle bolt and wrench on the shackle bolt with a socket.
Cargo1.jpg

FrameInside.jpg

Any other suggestions?!?!

Holy crap! All that rust and you are putting longer shackles on which will have even more leverage against the mount!! I have seen the mounts fail with longer shakles and no rust!

You know that Jeep and every other car and truck manufacturer has and does use grade8 hardware in standard applications, been doing it for like, I dunno.....70 years? You will never have a problem with grade8 bolts in a suspension application. Any aftermarket shackle kit you buy that comes with bolts are going to be grade8. Did you know that? Guess not. Go to Ace Hardware next time, not a big deal.

Back