• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Propane heater help?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a propane heater for my garage, one of the hang on the wall variety from fleet farm. I got it home, only to realize I needed a ton of ectra plumbing parts before it would be ready to go. Aww nuts. So I get all the parts together and hook it up last night, only to have it not work for me. Before I got return it, I was wondering if there was something I was missing?
From the heater, there is a nipple, then teh ground joint union, into the shut off valve, down to a T fitting, out of which comes hte supply hose, and the down one I have my trap. Ran that to the external regulator, and connected it to my brand new, freshly filled tank. I go to fire it up, and nothing. The ignitor works fine, plenty of spark, but it is almost as if there is no gas getting through the lines- cant figure out why? Yes, the shut off valve was open, yes, the tank was open, there is no evidence of any gas moving, so I am wondering if I am forgetting something? I followed the lighting instructions, and once it wouldnt light even pulled out a stick lighter to see if I could light the pilot. Nothing, and definitely no movement of gas anywhere. So, any ideas before I throw it out the window? Its starting to get cold fast, so I gotta figure this out! Thanks for any and all ideas....
josh

I am going to be finishing up a install for a friend of mine with the same Fleet Farm heater tonight. I noticied when I did the LP conversion kit that the gas valve has a on/off switch,make sure that it is on. Also, try to bleed the gas lines as close to the heater as possible,it takes a long time to get gas to the pilot the first time. There will be a small plug on the down stream side of the gas valve to connect a pressure gauge to, I usualy open that and bleed the air until I smell gas and then put the gauge to check pressures.FYI, all the heaters at the F&F here came set up for natural gas and I needed to buy the LP conversion kit.

Jerry

Well, I finally got the pilot to light, but as soon as I let go of the control nob it goes out. So, I am obviously not getting enough pressure. How do I get more? ANyone know?
josh

Incredible Hulk said:
Well, I finally got the pilot to light, but as soon as I let go of the control nob it goes out. So, I am obviously not getting enough pressure. How do I get more? ANyone know?
josh

You may have to hold it long enough to heat the thermocouple and allow the pilot to stay lit. Usually about 30 seconds or so.

Just a thought.

Rev

But mine is mounted at an angle so it isnt reaching the thermocouple at all. Seems to be a lack of gas flow. The pilot flame doesnt get over a 1/4" no matter what I do. So, I have held down the know to get it to heat the thermo, but it isnt doing it. Should I bend it so the little flame is under it to hear it. ANy other ideas?
josh

Adjust everything so the thermocouple is in the flame. It wont work unless it is. Thinks the tank is empty or the flame is out and shuts it down. At least that's how hot water heaters work.

Sarge

Back