• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwackers on 98 XJ

jma

NAXJA Forum User
On Bushwaker.com, it says that they only have fender flares for "up to 96" XJ. But it cant be so much difference between a 96 & 98 (as i have), that they want fit?

I know it has been done, but is it lots of mods to be done before they fit?
Thanks for any help.., from a Norwegian XJ [:)]

143_4311.jpg

The only difference is the rear. BWs go the full length instead of stopping at the rear bumper cap like the stock '96+ flares do. You just have to trim the rear bumper caps to make them work.

Ok, thats no big deal :)
Thanks kid4lyf

They're pretty ugly...........make sure you really want them.

:)

So whats the alternative to Bushwackers?
Is is possible to get wider, better looking fender flares?

Last edited:
I cut the snot out of mine. Basically followed the curve around the fender just above where they are verticle. The rears need alittle trimming to fit flush with the newer jeeps. A dremel tool definitely helps with one of those roto bits. Pick up some door edge moulding and with some creativity they can actually look good, but i understand that most people wont get a set of $350 flares and cut them up.

seanR said:
Ah, What do they know, A used car salesman, and a web wheeler!:)
I think they look good!
I just wish I could keep them on! :wierd:

LOL :laugh:

I think they would look better on my Jeep now that it's wider(with my front axle being 63" wide and having rims with 3.25 backspacing), but I'm still not crazy about them.

What else than Bushwackers then?
I really need wider flares...

Rear TJs all around. Take some effort to look good, but very tough and if the regular ones aren't wide enough you can use "Sahara" flares which are wider.

Ary

jma said:
What else than Bushwackers then?
I really need wider flares...
Don't let these punk azz biotches change your mind. BWs look very cool IF, IF, IF you have enough tire. 33" is the absolute smallest. 35s are better.

i like the bushwackers much better than the tj flares. i wish bushwackers would have fit after i butchered my front fenders for the TJ's. i'll second the "if i could jusst keep them on." you definitely need a large tire and a wider stance to make them look proportional.

mine is a 2000:

with 33's

242380_38_full.jpg

with 35's

242380_175_full.jpg

242380_287_full.jpg

turdles said:
I thought that on the 98+ Bushwacker cut outs you had to cut them to fit on top of the rear bumper??? what did you do to yours?
I helped someone install the ones I bought on their 98. (I sold them, had cold feet after receiving them). I am not sure if its what you meant, but Bushwacker doesn't make a "98+" version. They make them for the earlier XJs and you have to adapt them or your jeep to make them fit on a 97 or newer. The fronts go on the same on old and new (except new you have to watch the washer bottle inside the driver fender), but the rears are different. On 97+ the bumper endcap wraps around the side of the vehicle and ties into the stock fender flare. To make Bushwackers work, you either have to cut the rear lower portion of the new flare off to be the same size as the original flare (in my opinion, defeating the purpose) or you have to cut off the end of your endcap where it meets up with the flare. On sarvermr's he has an aftermarket bumper and so doesn't have the stock endcaps and so avoided the whole shebang that way. On the one I helped install, we trimmed his stock endcaps and the new flare so that the new flare wrapped right over the endcap. It looks pretty good.

After seeing them in action for the first time this weekend,I gotta say theyre pretty worthless!Alot of work "for what"?We both run the same lift,lockers, and bumpstops,but he's got 33x12.5"s vs my 10.5's.He tore the crap out of them,rubbed everywhere!We spend tons of money to lift these things and then you have to limit the travel to get it to fit,"I say not".Overall performance was close but I still got him!
crown%20king%2010-23-04%20019.jpg

Back