• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Frieght Bender?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I know it is not the best on the market, but it's dirt cheap. Has anyone built a cage using one of these? Does it really matter if they are crushed a little if I gusset the bends? I have seen bends with one that looked fine but the radius wasn't as tight as with a tubeing bender but it wasn't crushed.

There is a fundamental problem. The harbor frieght tool is a PIPE bender, pipe is measured on ID. Thus, if you tried to use a 1.5" die on 1.5" tubing, it wouldn't fit properly.

If you happen to have tubing that will fit properly into the pipe die, yes it will bend it pretty nicely to a point, but the radius sucks. You'll get to a point and the tube will flatten out, and the point is not very far along.

So yes, bad idea. There is a reason people use mandrel benders :laugh:

ChicksDigWagons said:
There is a reason people use mandrel benders

I don't know a single naxja person that built thier cage with a mandrel .

Mandrels are totally unecessary on a cage tubing with larger radius bends in relatively thick wall tubing. .120 wall 1.5" diameter tubing isn't prone to tube failure until either an extremely tighter radius or much thinner wall.

Last edited:
Flowers said:
Instead of being a smart ass, why don't you explain to everyone what a "mandrel" bender does.

smart ass?

show me.

a mandrel is not a bender.

a mandrel is an "insert" to keep thinwall tubing from crushing inward

mandrel.gif

MandrelAssembliesBendTools1_sm.jpg

tooling.jpg

mandrel20bending.jpg

whats your opinion of the bender then beezil

i built my stinger hoop with a harbor frieght bender, the main bend is accualy 3 bends because u can only bend it to about 110-120 degrees per bend, it didnt kink it tho. and i beileve on pirate a while back they had a discussion on the strength of schd40 pipe to hrew tubing in close to the same size, and the strength was very close between the two. i have no first hand experience info on that but as much as most people on this site hate pirate, there are some people over there that know there stuff.

kolby

lankchevy said:
... but as much as most people on this site hate pirate, there are some people over there that know there stuff.
??????

Where did this come from? I've been on the NAXJA forums since there was a NAXJA forum (actually I carried over from the old XJ Forum) and I don't recall any posts indicating that anybody here "hates" pirate. It certainly isn't accurate to say that "most people" on this site hate Pirate. What has been commented on is that (a) it's not exactly PG-13, and (b) the regulars can be a bit caustic with newbie questions. Both statements are true, but that does not translate into "most people on this site hate pirate."

Eagle said:
??????

Where did this come from? I've been on the NAXJA forums since there was a NAXJA forum (actually I carried over from the old XJ Forum) and I don't recall any posts indicating that anybody here "hates" pirate. It certainly isn't accurate to say that "most people" on this site hate Pirate. What has been commented on is that (a) it's not exactly PG-13, and (b) the regulars can be a bit caustic with newbie questions. Both statements are true, but that does not translate into "most people on this site hate pirate."

Maybe the reason Pirate seems a little caustic to the newbies is the number of times some dumba## will ask

"Can I build my cage using the HF POS TUBE bender?"

BEFORE SEARCHING.

Gee, I am a dumba## newbie. I cannot operate the search function. I wanna be cool like the big kids. I am gonna build a cage to impress everyone at the mall. I am never gonna NEED a cage, so I will just use Sch40 and a HF bender instead. :nono:

Maybe NAXJA needs to be more caustic too. If the DAN does not know the difference between a HF POS and a JD2 then said DAN has NO business building a cage.

:gonnablow

IMNSHO

Grant

i got the hf bender it is decent if u arent going for acruracy or speed. and if you want one really big arm from pumpin the damn hydralic jack. i wouldnt make a cage out of it. actually i don t make much out of it cause it is f-in heavy to move, just kinda sits on my garage floor under a pile of crap

NAXJA certainly does not need to become any more caustic. I have, over the years been involved in many different SIGs back to the BBS days and I can say without a doubt this can be the most caustic, unfriendly place that I have ever frequented. Recently it seems, you are as about as likely to get attacked for asking a question as you are in getting legitimate answers.

And while I agree that there are "newbies" who seem to ask before searching, attacking them rather than educating them is a no win situation. If I was a true "newbie" here, I'm not sure if I would risk asking a question with the antics that have gone on lately. And while I see interesting things happening to my reputation icons (I assume for calling a rude Cretan, a rude Cretan) I see no evidence of the admin. staff telling people who act badly to behave and play nice even though they seem to have the time to tell people that their post is being moved or deleted due to a posting rule.

There is an immense database of knowledge here and some very nice and well-meaning people here, so it's a shame that we also have morons who apparently weren't brought up in a civilized manor. It's not "newbies" who put unneeded roll cages on their Jeeps that make us look bad, it's low-brow rude and arrogant people who hide behind their screen names who attack and ridicule people for turning here for help and advice.

Perhaps I need to put the above into wording that this kind of individual can comprehend, so ... "Grow the f**k up!!!"

:soapbox:

QUOTE=Grant]Maybe the reason Pirate seems a little caustic to the newbies is the number of times some dumba## will ask

"Can I build my cage using the HF POS TUBE bender?"

BEFORE SEARCHING.

Gee, I am a dumba## newbie. I cannot operate the search function. I wanna be cool like the big kids. I am gonna build a cage to impress everyone at the mall. I am never gonna NEED a cage, so I will just use Sch40 and a HF bender instead. :nono:

Maybe NAXJA needs to be more caustic too. If the DAN does not know the difference between a HF POS and a JD2 then said DAN has NO business building a cage.

:gonnablow

IMNSHO

Grant[/QUOTE]

Crystalship1, you aren't even a club member. You got big rocks for saying that. I've met and wheeled with Grant, and you just aren't in his class. Or any of the other club members for that matter, at least they're paying to keep this site up. I don't see your name in red.

You think NAXJA is caustic? Take your own advice, grow up. There's plenty of sites that get a lot worse.

Pirate is a good rescource and I often post questions there when it comes to unusual tranny swaps and such. But NAXJA is not a caustic place, the people who reply in a way that some take as flames are doing it sarcastically and are not trying to detur any one from the site. If I go back and look at my first few posts I laugh at myself but no one was overly mean to me. If you can't handle posting here because your skin is thinner than a piece of paper and you never joke around with your buddies then you have bigger problems. And I've paid to help keep this site going (even though it's taking a while to get my name in red), so if you don't like it here then don't be a leach.
As for the bender question I just wanted to know if it was feasable because at that price I could do the whole thing myself. But I will just get quotes from all the shops around here for the bends and if I can't beat the price of the D&C I will just order that and add triangulation. I am not a newbie dumbass and my jeep is pretty well built and capable largely because of everything I have learned on this site and from people in my local clubs.

Last edited:
Why would I possibly want to pay to see people ridiculed when asking for help??

And yes .... I certainly am not in the same class as you two!!!

As for "worse sites", well true enough.... but my spam filters keep most of them away!!!

As for being a leech, I give plenty of advice and help when I know what I'm talking about. So any help that I have received, I have paid back many times over. A non-paying member that helps other members when they have questions is far more of an "asset" than a paying one who is just an "ass-hat".

OK .... I've done enough remedial education today.

:D

ChiXJeff said:
Crystalship1, you aren't even a club member. You got big rocks for saying that. I've met and wheeled with Grant, and you just aren't in his class. Or any of the other club members for that matter, at least they're paying to keep this site up. I don't see your name in red.

You think NAXJA is caustic? Take your own advice, grow up. There's plenty of sites that get a lot worse.

okay, so who has actually seen PIPE cage (welded well with good geometry) actually fail?

I've seen many dozen pipe cages on trails like Fordyce and the Rubicon (mostly EXOs on Toyota trucks) and I've seen them take some major abuse and many rollovers. I would rather have pipe/HF cage built by a pro than a 4130/JD2 cage built by an idiot.

No, pipe is not ideal. No one would argue that.

crystalship1 said:
Perhaps I need to put the above into wording that this kind of individual can comprehend, so ... "Grow the f**k up!!!"

Crystalship

I will grow up when you grow a thicker skin. Have you ever been to a NAXJA event? Do you know what sarcasm is?

How many cages have you built? How many of your cages have been in a serious accident? Not just a little rollover at slow speed, but say a serious off during a rally? Or a hard impact with the tire wall? I'll wager you have not even built a cage, let alone had one of your cages tested in a very serious way. Ever had any of your customers tell you that they owe their continued existance to the cage you built?

So do you even know what you are talking about? Not bloody likely.

When I see your name in red I will take you a little more seriously. Not much, but some, or do you have some whiny a## excuse as to why you cannot afford the paltry price of entry to NAXJA?

When a DAN does not understand why a HF POS PIPE bender is not the equipment to use in building a cage - does he even deserve a decent explanation? If he is incapable of using the "search" feature what good is a lengthy explanation going to do?

If you cannot understand how crimping tube weakens it (eventually leading to failure) - should you even be building a cage?

There is a wealth of information on this site, use the search feature and learn a lot. Post DAN questions and prepare for flaming (or grow a thicker skin)

Don't come whining about how you are treated on this board. You are very welcome to never visit again if I **** you off - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

IMSHO

Grant

craystalship1 said:
Why would I possibly want to pay to see people ridiculed when asking for help??

And yes .... I certainly am not in the same class as you two!!!

As for "worse sites", well true enough.... but my spam filters keep most of them away!!!

As for being a leech, I give plenty of advice and help when I know what I'm talking about. So any help that I have received, I have paid back many times over. A non-paying member that helps other members when they have questions is far more of an "asset" than a paying one who is just an "ass-hat".
It seems some people think NAXJA is a forum.

For those that are unaware, NAXJA is a WHEELING club, not an internet club. The Forum is here to help with tech and stay in touch between events.

As far as I'm concerned, a non-paying member (read: black named forum user with no rights or privilages) has NO right to tell members how to behave in their own house.

These are the type of folks that will not be missed when they decide they are ready to go back to JU.

Thank you and have a nice day while you try in vain to come up with a valid point.

Back