• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ rockrail options

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
well, the wheeling is taking it's tole on my jeep and i think its time for some more armor

i know nobody makes rockrails for mj's, but i was just wondering if anybody out there has done something that could give me an idea

what about welding in box tube like you can do on cherokee's?

is this Ping Pong?

weld up some box steel 2x2 or 2x4.. 3/16 thick... and have supports that bolt/weld to the comanchee frame and to the box steel..... a lil beer and paint.. voiala.... rock rail...

lol sry i know theres ALOT more involved in making rock rails... but ya... take a bunch of measurements.... have a friend weld u up some stuff.. for a 12 pack or somethin..

I plan on cutting out the rocker portion of my Mj and welding in some 4"x6" tube in it's place. I plan on welding it to the top remaining portion of the remaining rocker and then welding to the pinch seam below. We did this to my bud's Xj and it works great. Judd

I can't weld anything to my rockers because there's really nothing solid left. The only thing holding it together is the poly lining. So I'll be drilling 2 inch holes through the frame in three places per side. I'll push tube through it and weld it to both sides of the frame. The I'll weld my 2x2 rocker guard to the three tubes per side. Well, not necessarily in that order. Sounds pretty easy in theory, but it'll be a while before I can get started on it.
If you cut out the rockers, beware of rust eating everything up in a couple years. States farther from the rust belt are more resistant, but I live in Michigan and have seen several Cherokees with serious rust problems where the rockers *used* to be welded to the sheetmetal. I wouldn't do it. Comanches have double layered real "frames" and stand-alone rocker guards will work just fine if you design them right.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back