• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything I can do myself to get rid of peeling clearcoat??

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 XJ has the typical crappy factory paint and the clear coat is really peeling lots on hood and roof. Should I try to sand it down and repaint myself? I'm gettin tiredof looking at it. Besides that , at 140K it's great! Thanks, Heinz

The rain has been taking the clear coat off of mine. Im going to eventually prep it for paint. I can take a key and rub it lightly on my clear coat and it will flake off like a bad sunburn. So I think prepping it would be really easy.

They easy thing to do right now to get that clear coat off is to give it a good washing, pressure wash type. Use a plastic putty knike to scrap it off. This is what I did to prep mine a few years ago before paint.

Jeep products (and other manufacturers) of the 80's had some pretty bad paint problems. So bad, that the manufacturers implemented after-the-fact undisclosed warranty coverage on peeling, fading paint and clearcoat. As I understand it, the warranties extended only to the original owner and only for a certain period of time. My '88 Comanche is no longer covered (I'm not the orignial owner anyway), but considering the cost of a new paint job I suggest you investigate whether your '92 Cherokee is covered under one of these so-called secret warranties.

Erik
88 Comanche

Back