• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ skidplates

BOSS-351

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed after some mild offroad testing that I have no skidplates!!! I just recently bought my Cherokee. I plan on taking the Cherokee offroad more pretty soon, I will be adding a RubiconExpress 2" or 3.5" inch lift (haven't decided yet) and either 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 tires soon and would like get some skidplates before I do anything serious. I noticed on the 97-01 cherokees you had to buy the upcountry option to get skidplates, my question is do the earlier XJ's have them? There is a pull-a-part junk yard not to far from me that has several 88-92 XJ's (one is a Laredo) and I was wondering if they were more common on these years or were they still optional? I would assume the unibody construction and most of the running gear is similar from 84 to 01 and I should be able to mount earlier model ones if they have them? The aftermarket skidplates are a bit pricey.

1999 Cherokee 2Dr Sport
4.0 liter/5spd
8.25 rear/D30 front

97+ was the redesign year where a bunch of stuff changed that was not all visible fluff and new sheet metal. Factory gas tank, transfer case and front skids were available and some dealers might have them still in stock. The rear skid plate is held on with steel plates that have nuts welded on them. Thos plates go inside the rear frame rails, you should already have one in the passenger side holding up your tailpipe.
Another good recommendation is rocker panel skids which are available from several manufactures. Front hooks also need special plates that require removal of the front bumper, add the plates and mount the bumper back up. They used to be available from the dealer, not sure if thats true anymore, rustys and custom 4x4 plus others make heavier ones..

Factory skid plates show up on Ebay for decent prices from time to time.

Transfer case & front end skid plates will swap from earlier models... the fuel tank skid is different from '96 and earlier vs the '97 & newer models.

I have some good 30x9.5 mud tires available, PM me if you are interested.

yea i need to get skidplates also.....mebbe when i get to tx i can get some sheetmetal and fab up my own.....i'll bug dan starc for the measurements on his....now that man has one helluva skidplate on his jeep!

ladywolf said:
yea i need to get skidplates also.....mebbe when i get to tx i can get some sheetmetal and fab up my own.....i'll bug dan starc for the measurements on his....now that man has one helluva skidplate on his jeep!
pic1
pic2

Wouldn't you wanna use some plating instead of sheetmetal for skids?? :D

Kejtar said:
pic1
pic2

Wouldn't you wanna use some plating instead of sheetmetal for skids?? :D
Man you didn't have to roll it over just to show is that! Damn!
Looks beefy

I got a factory transfer case skid from the pick and pull off an '87 Laredo. It went onto my 2000 but you have to drill and tap the holes for the "frame rail" side. Use big bolts though since the frame is so thin. I used 7/16" if I remember correctly.

y2kxj said:
Man you didn't have to roll it over just to show is that! Damn!
Looks beefy

I got a factory transfer case skid from the pick and pull off an '87 Laredo. It went onto my 2000 but you have to drill and tap the holes for the "frame rail" side. Use big bolts though since the frame is so thin. I used 7/16" if I remember correctly.
Actually those are Dan Starc's skids :D Mine when rolled, landed back on in the tires.

y2kxj said:
...went onto my 2000 but you have to drill and tap the holes for the "frame rail" side. Use big bolts though since the frame is so thin. I used 7/16" if I remember correctly.
Just a heads up on this. With standard threaded fasteners in sheetmetal remember that generally, more threads is better.

For example: in 14 ga, an 8-32 or a 10-32 screw will have a higher "pull out" resistance than a much larger one. A 10-32 thread in 14 ga will take more "relative" torque to "strip out" than a 3/8"-16 or a 7/16"-14.

1/4"-28 is not a real common size, but seems to be a good comprimise in terms of size and cross sectional thread count in 14 ga.

Specialty major/minor thread combos, among other features can be had to offset this toward a larger fastener.

--ron

Try PMing Buck Jackson, he's got aluminum skidplates all over the underside of his 97. Pretty blingy and cool. They are thick (like 1/4" or something) but very strong. He had them custom made for damn cheap, like $150 CDN or something. My 97 SE came with a T-case and front skid, I'm planning on getting Island XJ to build me a tranny, engine and gas tank skid this fall. You hear that Brett? Start building!
B.

Captain Ron said:
Just a heads up on this. With standard threaded fasteners in sheetmetal remember that generally, more threads is better.

For example: in 14 ga, an 8-32 or a 10-32 screw will have a higher "pull out" resistance than a much larger one. A 10-32 thread in 14 ga will take more "relative" torque to "strip out" than a 3/8"-16 or a 7/16"-14.

1/4"-28 is not a real common size, but seems to be a good comprimise in terms of size and cross sectional thread count in 14 ga.

Specialty major/minor thread combos, among other features can be had to offset this toward a larger fastener.

--ron

damn that's good to know.
never thought about it like that. Thanks

RWB214 said:
is it true that the gas tank skid plate from a 93-98 ZJ is compatible with the 97+ XJ's?

I'm 99% sure of this, based on my own observations.

Back