• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Question (sorry)

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
I am going to order a Rusty's 3 inch AAL kit on monday for my 96 XJ. I am going to run 31's on it. I know I need longer rear bumpstops to prevent rubbing, but are there any other suggestions on what I need to get with it? I am a college student so I am trying to keep this on a tight budget.

Johnny

Edited (I meant 31's, sorry for the typo) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey man, I am running Rusty's 3". It yielded a lil more than 3" for me, but there is no way I would be able to run 33's on it. Are you planning on whipping out the sawzall and doing some major cutting? Might wanna do soem searches on the board an see what people are running with what. Hopefully you didnt buy those meats or the lift yet. You'll prolly need to change one or the other.

Don't spend extra money 'til you have to...

I've got the same kit on my '97 and am running Bridgestone Dueler A/T 31x10.5 on stock rims (actually measure to about 29"). The only thing I added besides the kit was a 1" t-case drop to cure some vibes I had (make it yourself for near nothing) and I didn't do that until after the install. Just put the kit on and see what issues you have after you run it awhile, shouldn't be anything "major". You can start making adjustments like t-case drop, axle shim or bump stops, etc. from there.

Have fun!

You might hit the back of the rear wheel wells a little. With stock rims I also started to hit the control arms a bit but it was nothing serious. I have a '97 also. I'm with LawlessXJ though. Just put the lift on and trim a little or live with it.
The days of everything fitting perfectly will be over but this is where it gets interesting and that's half the fun.
mattk

lobsterdmb said:
....I am going to run 31's on it.....
Johnny

Edited (I meant 31's, sorry for the typo) :rolleyes:

He is going to run 31's not 33's. Might get a little rub, trim the front, hammer the back. Leave the stock flairs in place, no cost.

Rev

Im running a little more then 3 inches and have no extendeded bump stop yet. It flexed up really well witout my shocks bottoming out, and there is no rubbing except at the LCAs with stock rims.

Yeah, I guess I'd forgotten about that: I did have some rubbing on the LCA's after the 3" lift went on at full lock... I just adjusted my steering stops out a few turns and that took care of that. That and the t-case drop were the only adjustments I made after the lift. It does touch the fenders a bit when fully flexed but nothing thats made me fire up the sawzall.

So when I order my lift, should I order a tranny drop with it too just in case? The jeep is my daily driver so it can't be out of commission. The drop is only ike 10 or 15 bucks. I don't know of any local shops that I could just run out to get one at so that is why I was wondering if I should just order it at the same time.

I lifted my 97 with rustys 3"AAL not getting the t-case drop wouldn't put you out of commission. I didn't put one on till the lift was a few months and a vibe developed. It would be a very simple thing to make it's really only 4 1" thick washers and 4 longer bolts for the cross-member. Have fun with it.
Brian:)

The big things that you need are already in the kit.

The little things that you mention are free, or very cheap and easy to fix.

Bumpstops:
Front : go out and buy a few hockey pucks, then glue, or silicone them to the bottom portion of the spring mount.

Rear: buy some 1" or 1 1/4" square tube and longer bolts for your bumpstops....cut to length, drill holes, and install.

Brake lines:

Buy brakelines for a 94 wrangler. They are 3-4" longer than stock. While you're installing these, gently straighten the hard line for an additional inch or 2.

E-Brake: I cant remember exactly, but I think that you can use passenger side for YJ

T case drop: many advise against this, same technique as rear bumpstops. (I didn't listen either, and just replaced motor mounts)

I'm not sure about the tailshaft on 96's but you may want to try without the TC drop first. I had no vibes at all in my 92 at 3"

HTH,

John

Back