• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I expect on first trail ride?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda a crazy question, I know, but I live in the Midwest and I think I finally have everything fixed and ready to go for my first run, but basically, since my 97 XJ is my only car, what should I expect or bring extras of when going on a trail ride? My main concern is stuff breaking that I will need more off, so any help out there would be great.

Are there any kind of checklists out there of stuff to bring on a run?

Front d30 and rear 8.25 are stock except for Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE. 5" lift with adjustable trackbar, quick discos, adj lca's sitting on 32's x 12.5.

Outside is stock and beat up already from previous owner.

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

first aid kit

fire extinguisher
strap(s)
spare parts (what do you think you might break?)
co-pilot / spotter
annother vehicle that can pull your ass out and tow you home
basic tools (wrenches, BFH, breaker bar, socket/ratchets, TORX)
calbe or zip ties
duct tape
i carry break fluid and power steering fluid, radiator fluid and oil, (never used in my rig, but have used every fluid to help someone else)

water is good to have
lunch?
cooler with Dr. Peper
the more i think of it, the more stuff i think - it would be nice to have that...

Double Down said:
What's the normal stuff that breaks?
Whatever you don't have the parts to fix. :D There are a few threads that deal with "what to bring" but I'll see if I can dig any of them up as well.

mud = alternator death
thats all ive had to replace... that doesnt fail with time anyway
Full size spare = must have

i remember the first time i really wheeled my junk (not doin donuts in a field wheelin) but anyway i was nervous as $hit and was chain smoking the whole time, but i got through it and have been addicted to wheelin ever since

Bring a whole spare parts jeep with you!
No realy, ask the guys you are ridding with what they carry for two reasons.
First it will give you an idea of what is broken often where you wheel. Second, if you are missing something maybe you can bum off of them if it is life or death. In my opinion you always need way more than you have, so bring what is very important. I would list my parts/tool list, but I think that is kind of personal info.

Above all else, the most important thing that you must never forget is...

quit calling your Jeep a car!!!!!! It's not a car, it's a Jeep! :laugh:

dmillion said:

yeah i do that too much.
just go and have fun, bring some common sense and you should be fine. and it will give you a better idea of what to expect to need next time. what kind of wheeling do yall have up there.

XJ_ranger said:
wow, you must be wayyyyyyyyyyyy rear end heavy

actually, I am really not. The winch is mounted up front, and the axles and tie rods are in a box. The CO2 tank gets mounted seperately too. I just happen to list every tool and whatnot becuase I got tired of some of my buddies asking me. It all stays in a rubbermaid so I don't lose anything. That is everything I think I will need to fix the jeep if there is a problem. Just remember the boy scout motto: "Be Prepared." The stuff that is in the jeep all the time is under the rear seat.

John

Double Down said:
What's the normal stuff that breaks?

Thanks,

Chris

Your spirit.

Really, if you wheel with the MWC group, bring a good sense of humor, a tolerance for others, and a willingness to have fun.

You may want to review the NAXJA requirments for runs, that covers things like tow points etc.

Rev

dmillion said:

No kiddin- I always love pokin fun at people when the ask about my "car"

Rev Den said:
You may want to review the NAXJA requirments for runs, that covers things like tow points etc. Rev
Can you tell us where to find this information? I searched around, but could not locate it. I'd like to know as one day I plan to become a member and make the trek down your way to particpate in a run.
Brent

Beej said:
Can you tell us where to find this information? I searched around, but could not locate it. I'd like to know as one day I plan to become a member and make the trek down your way to particpate in a run.
Brent

http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Bylaws said:
All vehicles must have the following equipment to attend the off road portion NAXJA sponsored Events

Legally required automobile insurance and registration;

Fire extinguisher;

First Aid Kit;

Tow Rope (no metal hooks allowed), Tow Chain, or Winch;

Safety belts;

Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench;

Hooks both front and rear (or suitable attaching point)

CB (HIGHLY recommended, but not mandatory)

Rev

man o man u guys must never wheel your forgetting the most important thing

Toilet paper!!!! :)
o yea spare front shafts complete is always easier than pressing in a u-joint. i have the whole hub outer and inner shaft as one so all i have to do is pull out the old and slide in the new abs shafts and joints are usually bigger so if your going to the bone yard get them. maby a rear shaft for the 8.8 i think it is the same length on either side so that should work. fluids, tools, FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Back