• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! having trouble removing belt on 4.0

EvilCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i went to start my 91 today and the belt snapped. i think i found the tension bolts near the ps pump. i've never changed a belt on a 4.0 before. i see 4 bolts. 2 behind the ps pump, 1 under the ps pulley(which somebody had previously rounded) and one underneath the ps pump(which also seems rounded). which one of the bottom 2 bolts, when loosened, will alow me to pivot the pump so i can get the old belt off? i'm going batty and i'm going to kill whoever rounded those two bolts.

thanks in advance!

There's a long bolt that starts from the driver's side and goes towards the passenger side underneath the PS pump pulley. That's the adjustment bolt but to be able to turn that, you need to loosen one of the rounded bolts that you have. It'll be obvious which one it is because the end of it touches the long bolt at a 90* angle.

thanks. i was looking at it more and i'm going to have to work on it tomorrow. and that bottom bolt(not the long one)is definitely rounded. i tried but couldn't seem to get vice grips to turn it either. so i soaked it in pb blaster and called it a day. i'm hoping i don't have to drill it out, cause then i'll to remove the radiator.

all this for a belt,lol

thanks again

i'm getting really irritated. took the radiator out, and was looking at that bottom "bolt". its not a bolt. its a nut. i tried one of those gator grip sockets that supposedly works with anything with no luck and my vice grips aren't working either. any come to find out my drill, the plug is missing a prong. and i have no way of replacing it till next week when i get paid again.

the only reason i'm so gung-ho on pressing my 91 back into running condition is the tranny in my Crown Vic took a dump, and i needed to prep a winter vehicle anyway.

i got the old belt off, but i had to cut it. any ideas anyone as to remove that nut? i have no access to a cutting torch either, otherwise i prob would've tried that, and right now its raining so i can't do anything right now.

thanks in advance

they have a socket that is sorta like an easy out. it has reverse threads inside of the socket. I can't remember what the are called. I got a set from autozone. last time I used one was on a rounded lug nut. worked great. go to an auto parts store and ask for em. they will know what you need. they have worked for me when nothing else would.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips everybody. tomorrowi, i'm gonna try to see what i can do. i'm looking to get it running by thursday. i've never had this much trouble with a belt,lol.

A couple of additional hints. Take the air cleaner box out, and you'll have a much easier time getting at things. And once you have things loosened up, consider taking the adjuster out (the little bracket with the adjusting screw) and replacing it and its attaching bolts. If there's a junkyard around, perhaps you can get another. I don't know if a dealer would have one at a reasonable price, but it might be worth finding out. If not, you might even consider finding someone to weld a new, bigger head onto the main adjusting screw. To get the belt well adjusted requires a fair amount of wrenching, and you'll be forever frustrated if the heads are damaged.

once again you guys have been a great help, but unfortunately my jeep hates me i believe. the rounded nut is still on there. i got a nut splitter at autozone, but it didn't work. and when it slipped, it bopped the power steering pulley. i thought nothing of it until i spun the pulley out of frustation and when it hit, it took a chunk out of the edge of the pulley, a good size chunk... wtf?

just to give you guys an idea

when i replaced the header panel and such after my accident, i let the nuts soak in pb blaster for like 3 days before i started to remove the damged header panel. twice a day for 3 days i went out there and sprayed em. the day i start pulling everything apart, the nuts holding the header panel to the fenders came off, but they took part of the studs too. wtf? and i did loosen, tighten,loosen and i broke 3 studs. when i had to remove the header panel again, i was removing the nuts on the radiator support, they pulled out 2 of the studs from the header panel. i went to replace the thermostat, i break the t-stat housing.i went to replace the heater control valve, the new one is leaking, exchanged it, still leaking and there is no holes in it. i checked it thoroughly. grr, and now this. sorry for the long rant. i appreciate the help you guys have been, and i love my jeep. but this is so frustrating and discouraging because of my lack of cash right now. i'm almost debating on towing it to a shop, but that would defeat the purpose of everything i've done so far.

Well you've come this far...you may want to try this.
On that Power steering adjustment bolt thats rounded off....Heat it. Heat the hell out of it with a Benzomatic plumbers torch.
Aftre you heated it, spray it with some PB. Then get a vice wrench on there as tight as you can. Loosen from there. It may just work.
When all else fails for me, I always apply heat. That works for me 99% of the time.
Just be careful with the torch.

i'll try to borrow one tomorrow from somebody. i can't do it tonite only because i pb blasted the hell out of it. i don't want to be torching something and boom,lol

If you can't borrow one, Home Depot has them pretty cheep. I think the bottle of propane and nozzle end are only $14.99 or around there if I remember correctly.
Its a great tool to have around anyway.

Northern New England is a parallel universe. All the rules and injunctions and hints for dealing with rust are at best provisional. Loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, bolt doesn't shear off but a 6 inch chunk of sheet metal tears loose instead...

Best of luck! I agree at this point, heat sounds like the next step. Almost any nut will come off when it's red hot.

Back