• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt t-case 242

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i have a xj 90 limited and the transfer ls leaking oil i have to refill it everey week and i am tire of it, i want to rebuilt it or just replace the seals the thing is i dont know where to get them or what i need to do to fix it any info will help me a lot TIA

If you are talking a stock 242 without a SYE kit, then I am pretty sure you can get a rebuild kit from John @ www.jbconversions.com. He is a t-case guru and I am pretty sure I have heard of others getting rebuild kits from him. Otherwise I would call a local dealer and get a part number for a rebuild kit and then try to get one for cheaper from an online vender such as Wyckoff - www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com. I couldn't say if local auto parts chain such as NAPA offers such a thing, but you may want to check them as well and ask for the jobber price, they may not give it to you but it won't hurt to try.

If your only problem is an oil leak, then I strongly suggest cleaning the unit and rechecking it to isolate the leak. There are four possible causes:

1) Transfer Case Input Seal - located between transfer case and transmission tailshaft
2) Front Output Shaft Seal - located just aft of front driveshaft transfer case yoke
3) Rear Output Shaft Seal - located around slip joint of rear driveshaft into transfer case. This seems to be the most common point of failure, as it has a spinning shaft AND that shaft slides in and out under suspension travel
4) Transfer Case Half Gasket - this is the seal between the front and rear have of the transfer case housing.

The good news is that if it is one of the first three, it's an over-the-counter part pretty much anywhere, and #2 and #3 don't even require you to remove the transfer case! If you clean and isolate the leak, let us know and we can flesh out the instructions for you a little more...

5-90

Back