• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case problems...Big freakin' can o' worms!

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
So this whole 2-lo/SYE thing is getting to be a big can of worms.

I thought my chain was loose in my t-case as it was popping(it would slip a few teeth and then catch and work) in 4wd, both hi and lo. There was also a " gravel rolling around" kind of sound coming from the t-case as well as a slight "clunk" when I took off from a stop. The latter of the sounds was like some kind of slack was being taken up(in the rear, not the front like my other noise).

I replaced the chain today and everything look fine, but when I drove it afterwards the same noises are still there.

So here are my questions:

1. What could be the causes of these noises/ problem?
2. The SYE is a H&T version. I thought the tapped whole was right on center, but looking at it when it rotates it is off center by about half the radius of the bolt, not too much, but you can tell it is off slightly. COuld this be causing any of the noises?
3. I can push the rear output shaft in and out, even with the snap ring in place, by about .5" or so. Should this be happening, and could it cause any of the noises?
4. What solutions come to mind to solve this charlie foxtrot?

Thanks guys. All your help is appreciated. Long winded, I know.

Fergie

PS- Cliffnotes: MY t-case is screwy so read my post and see if ya can help.

well, it seems to me like you have a bad bearing - grinding sound

this would be caused by the H+T being of center and putting a lateral force on a bearing that isnt meant for one.

this would be my thoughts, but i am no expert

cliffnotes: output bearing

Fergie said:
3. I can push the rear output shaft in and out, even with the snap ring in place, by about .5" or so. Should this be happening, and could it cause any of the noises?

That is a problem. There is a little play but I remember it being less than an 1/8" or so.

My eyes are fuzzy and I'm not thinking to well either.

Did you remember to put the snap ring in that holds the synchro and drive gear in place? That's the only thing I can remember that would keep the shaft from sliding out. If you pull on the main shaft everything should come out except the sun gear and low range shift fork. The chain shouldn't be able to bend sideways 1/2".

If you did something supid like leaving parts out you know I'm going to have to make fun of you.

Mr. Supid- Not too sure as to the snapring you are referring to. I dont recall seeing a snap ring near the synchro or drive gears. Which ones are those by the way?

I didnt have any left over parts, but in the two ties I have had my case apart, I keep forgetting to put that damn magnet in!

Please expound a bit more on the synchro/drive gear thing and I will see if I can be more helpful.

Fergie

So did you take pictures, like you were told?

If you have a 1/2" of play in the mainshaft you have BIG problems!!!!!!!

hinkley

2offroad said:

If he can't figure out how a 231 goes together, what makes you think he can install and handle an Atlas II :laugh3:

Fergie said:
Mr. Supid- Not too sure as to the snapring you are referring to. I dont recall seeing a snap ring near the synchro or drive gears. Which ones are those by the way?

I didnt have any left over parts, but in the two ties I have had my case apart, I keep forgetting to put that damn magnet in!

Please expound a bit more on the synchro/drive gear thing and I will see if I can be more helpful.

Fergie

This is the snap ring.:
231_syncro_gear.jpg

Ah, fcuk you Ary. Go work on an ARB or something!

Mark-Pictures of what specifically? I guess I dont understand what you need them of. I can describe pretty much all of what I noticed and such. Just be specific if ya ask a question.

One of the things I did notice however was this: The mode sleeve, when it is installed, has some rotational play between it's teeth and the teeth of the gear that is directly in front of(looking towards front of vehicle) the chain sprocket.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Fergie

EDIT: Posted this before Lincoln posted his picture. I dont recall seeing a snap ring come off anywhere in the process, and I know I didnt reinstall one.

Thanks for the pics Lincoln. I have both of those in front of me now from different websites, the Tera instructions and the manual.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Thanks for the pics Lincoln. I have both of those in front of me now from different websites, the Tera instructions and the manual.

Fergie

Fergie said:
EDIT: Posted this before Lincoln posted his picture. I dont recall seeing a snap ring come off anywhere in the process, and I know I didnt reinstall one.

That would be a problem. I bet you did and just won't admit it because it's under a tire somewhere.

NOW GET TO WORK!

Eat me...hard.

I know there isn't a snap ring that I installed there, and am pretty sure that one did not come off either.

Here is another bit of info as I rack my mind to pick out the samll events that happened. When I was turning the yoke on the front output, the chain would slip even then. Is this suppossed to happen?

Fergie

Fergie said:
Eat me...hard.

I know there isn't a snap ring that I installed there, and am pretty sure that one did not come off either.

Here is another bit of info as I rack my mind to pick out the samll events that happened. When I was turning the yoke on the front output, the chain would slip even then. Is this suppossed to happen?

Fergie

if the case was open that is ok i think because the rear bearing of the front output shaft is not holding it in position but if it was all together wtf are you gears all in good shape. i just did a HD sye and have an output shaft and tail cone. and not for nothing but how bout u joints they make grinding noises and pop and can make you think your t-case is shot check the cv u-joints
pm me if your interested in the shaft and tailcone.

Okay, this is getting retarded. I just went out to do something with the Jeep and there is a leak from the case now. It isnt from the case halves or the tailcone area. It looks like it is either from the front output area, like the seal is bad, or the small rubber o-ring on the splines is bad. It could also be from where the shift linkage attaches to the case, where that plastic bushing and o-ring is.

So, what all needs to come apart to drop the t-case and do a complete rebuild on it?

Before that though, do you guys have any other ideas as to what it could be? Thanks

Fergie

Did you put the snap ring in that holds the bearing in the tailcone housing? It is about three inches in diameter. You should only be able to move the output shaft about .050"

That has to be what is missing. I haven't read all the posts so maybe someone already covered this, but from your first post, that has to be the problem.

Here is a pix of the ring I am talking about.

TailconeSnapRing.jpg

Last edited:
Where you said you had a large clunk "from where slack might be taking up" I had the same type of deal a while back, when taking off and then a few seconds later a large clunk. I crawled underneath and grabbed the drive shaft to pull myself under and it moved quite a bit. Checked the u joint by the axle end and I could move it so bad i thought it was going to fall out. I took it apart and the needle bearing caps were fine but the bearings themselves were dust and half of two "knobs" where the bearing ride were half gone. Check that also, hope this helps some later Jeff CamoXJeep

Pull the damn case and start inspecting. Are you sure crap didn't move around and something broke? The seals aren't a big deal and I would change the input seal while your there. You need to fix it before major things happen. Missing any of the snap rings can cause other stuff to FU in a hurry.

Get it done.

Holy hell I am dense.

Old Man- The whole time we were talking about snaprings I thought you were talking about the ring on the output shaft. Since I swapped tailcones, I never had that snapring on there. That explains a lot. There was a point when I tried to put the shaft snapring on and it wouldnt seat because the bearing had walked forward.

Is is possible to buy this one snapring?

I hope this is the problem and that by putting it in, I'll be able to fix it. There is no way to get the ring in without removing the seal is there?

Thanks for the insight.

Fergie

Back