• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wandering

bocaj

NAXJA Forum User
when im driving at any speed my jeep wanders alot. when i hit bumps its kinda hard to control. just got new tires had them alligned and stuff. i think my shocks might be bad. i have alot of play in the steering wheel. are there adjustments i need to make? and could my shocks be contributing to the problem?

Knowing the age, miles, and mods that have been done on the Jeep would help. Also the type of tires.

Shocks could cause it, and well as just about anything else in the suspension, front or rear. The bushings on the four link arms are probably the first thing to look at if you have high miles. With a lot of play in the wheel you might also have some worn tie rod or pitman arm joints. Also check the mounting bolts on the steering gear - they can come loose.

In addition to what Dave said, loose steering can be from the steering box separating from the 'frame' - earlier years were more prone to this, but larger tires will do it too. There was a recall in about 95 that addressed the weakness in the steering mounting, after which they incorporated it at the factory.

When mine have started to wander, to the point where I was uncomfortable with it. It turned out to be most times the trac bar, upper joint. Front end parts wear, sometimes the play, a little here and a little there, adds up. But the one item, that usually had the most profound affect, was the trac bar.

Probably the track bar. Sit in the car and jiggle the steering wheel back and forth. If you see the body moving side to side then it's likely the track bar or it's bracket.

That was my suggestion also,have somebody else turn steering wheel back and forth while you look at lower and upper control arm bushings,tie rod ends,trac bar,tie rod end to pitman arm.When I got my '90 with 160,000 same thing wandered with about 1/4 turn of wheel to get the thing to turn.2 worst items are the trac bar upper joint and pitman arm tie rod end.Those would be most common but ball joints are also a good thing to check.

Back