• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear wine

bheit4x4

NAXJA Forum User
just set up new 456 gears in my 8.25 and there is a wine(loud wine ) on slowdown no noise when accelerating

set backlash at .005 and had a full contact all the way across the gears on drive and coast sides. the hardest part of contact is in the middle of both sides

any thoughts on what this could be? I think I need to open it up some but want some other opinions first

thanks for any help

next time take pictures so that I can see. a few thoughts cross my mind. how tight did you set the pinion bearing preload? did you crush the collar?
was the contact pattern oval? or was it cressent shaped? did you get the same pattern on both sides of the ring gear teeth? did you seat the pinion bearings fully into their bores?
if you open it back up then snap mee some photos and send them directly to me. [email protected] you can even give me a call and I can talk you thru some steps.
a loud whine on coast or deceleration would indicate an incorrect contact pattern onthe coast side or concave side of the ring gear teeth. if you failed to crush the crush collar or didn't see the bearing all the way then there is a chance that the pinion could have developed some play between the bearings.
bheit4x4 said:
just set up new 456 gears in my 8.25 and there is a wine(loud wine ) on slowdown no noise when accelerating

set backlash at .005 and had a full contact all the way across the gears on drive and coast sides. the hardest part of contact is in the middle of both sides

any thoughts on what this could be? I think I need to open it up some but want some other opinions first

thanks for any help

Back