• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!? JKS Install Question

XJJazz

NAXJA Forum User
In my 01 XJ, the lower mounting bolt for the sway bar connects looks like it is pressed or welded into the axle bracket. Any ideas how to get it out? I have tried a BFH and simply unscrewing it. Do I need to heat it? Any other ideas? So much for my quick install. Thanks.

Had to gind the head off cut the bolt off and use a plasma cutter to drill a hole in the center of the B before i could get it to come out..
good luck.

BTW it's just pressed in with slines on the bolt. get her sprayed with some good d40 or pb and maybe get a big hammer on the back side of the mount (that is if you don't have a tourch and/or plasma cutter)

Muduck - plasma cutter as a drill? Methinks you just enjoy blasting holes in things with that... That's pretty much what I had to do as well though. 7 years of road crud had pretty much seized them in place and no amount of PB Blaster did any good to unlock them. Banging the assembly out with a hammer was starting to bend the swaybar mounts so we needed another fix. I drilled a hole as large as the Torx splines would allow, and ended up grinding the head and 'bolt' off. This left a donut in the swaybar mount, which we punched out using an air chisel.

Mine were hard to remove too. The bolt is splined on the end where it goes through the bracket. On my 97 with over 200000kms I soaked it with Liquid Wrench for a day and then used a "bolt-puller" to remove it (basically a big circular clamp - $10 at the parts store) . You could remove it with a C-clamp and a hammer. One end of the clamp on the bracket, the other on the bolt and start tightening, it will come slowly. Once it started to come out about 1/16", I was able to tap it out with a hammer. Then I redrilled the bracket to fit.
Beej.

Back