• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 lock right problems

Pat

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in need of some advice or ideas here...when I turn an axle shaft slowly, the lock right stays locked and all is good. When I turn a shaft quickly (i.e. on the road) its like it wont completely disengage and just clunks repetitively as the teeth grab and release. The springs and pins *appear* to be in good shape, and the unit has only been use for about 3-4 months. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?? Thanks.

Pat

Thats how it works.When you make a sharp turn the wheel rates are not the same so the faster wheel un-loads the locker allowing the "dogs" to release.

Yep that is the way they work.:D

yes, you are right, but i dont understand why it is clunking while driving in a straight line...? and if that weren't happening, when one wheel is spinning faster than the other, shouldnt the dogs fully release, so that there is no clunking heard every time i make a turn?

Pat

They can't fully release if there is constant pressure on them by the springs and pins. If it is clunking while you are going in a straight line it might be that one wheel is smaller in diameter than the other. I think it said that it cannot be smaller than 3/8ths or it will not work right or something like that.

It will "ratchet" back in as soon as the wheel speed equalizes.Since you have a non-disco axle youll see this tranfer as you go from right to left.

The locker will allow the axle shafts to spin under load until the pinion is loaded and it cams the locker dogs together. Free hand spinning of a tire utilizes only the small locker springs to load the dog clutches, why it is fairly easy to free up the clutch dogs with a quick tire spin.

Next time you test the locker with the front axle on stands, reach under and grab the pinion to load the cross shaft into the locker. Have someone else spin a front tire, and see if the locker releases? Have them spin the tire back and forth, and swap sides, to give you a feel for how changing the direction of the carrier and pinion load effects the lock and release of the locker clutches. The exercise will also reveal why the locker is near invisible in 2WD with no load on the pinion.

Back