• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finnaly found an AX-15...now what

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep: '88 4.0 peugeot 231 D44 D30

Hello everyone :party:

SO i found a guy whos got a 1990 laredo 4.0 5-speed 231. the jeep has 16k!!! ORIGINAL miles on it. His story is that he purchased the jeep 12 years ago after it had been wrecked with the intention of fixing it and never did. the jeep hit a semi while trying to go under it from the side. the impact hit the top of the hood and pushed back into the valve cover peeling it back slightly. I havent seen it yet.

He's selling the transmission, t-case, and front axle for $500. the t-case has a cracked case. If this is as a result of the accident, would there be anything to worry about on the tranny?

I plan to pick up the tranny and case to replace my french peugeot shi# and replace some worn parts in my existing 231.

What little goodies should i look for as well? I was thinking...

T-case input (should come with the case)
tranny mount
bell housing?
slave cylinder(is it internal?)
CPS
shifter mech.

anything else? and do you think there are any issues with this having sat around for 12 years?

I'll be leaving in the morn. to go have a look at it.

Thanks
:piratefla

also, is there any reason for me to get the front axle as well? he only wants 250 for the trannyand case. my jeep has a d30 from an '84. are there better axles in the '90? brakes?

The 84 will have CV booted axle shafts. Don't know if there's a vac disconnect or not on the way old ones? The 90 front end will have vac disconnect, high pinion, 260 ujoints unless it has ABS. The brakes are discs obviously, same as what you have, probably same diameter etc but different application and won't swap.

jjvande said:
My jeep: '88 4.0 peugeot 231 D44 D30

Hello everyone :party:

SO i found a guy whos got a 1990 laredo 4.0 5-speed 231. the jeep has 16k!!! ORIGINAL miles on it. His story is that he purchased the jeep 12 years ago after it had been wrecked with the intention of fixing it and never did. the jeep hit a semi while trying to go under it from the side. the impact hit the top of the hood and pushed back into the valve cover peeling it back slightly. I havent seen it yet.

He's selling the transmission, t-case, and front axle for $500. the t-case has a cracked case. If this is as a result of the accident, would there be anything to worry about on the tranny?

I plan to pick up the tranny and case to replace my french peugeot shi# and replace some worn parts in my existing 231.

What little goodies should i look for as well? I was thinking...

T-case input (should come with the case)
tranny mount
bell housing?
slave cylinder(is it internal?)
CPS
shifter mech.

anything else? and do you think there are any issues with this having sat around for 12 years?

I'll be leaving in the morn. to go have a look at it.

Thanks
:piratefla

I've done this swap. The slave cylinder is internal in both. You'll need the t-case input shaft, since the BA10 is 21 spline and the AX15 is 23 spline. The crossmember sits further back with the AX15, but there should be another set of holes in the frame to use to move the crossmember back. Instead of moving the crossmember, I modified the BA10 trans mount to work with the AX15 by moving the holes in the mount, which required some light fabrication work.

$250 is dirt cheap for the trans and even a broken t-case. I paid $800 for the AX15 and t-case that I got. That rig was rolled and totalled so now I have that AX15 trans, t-case, and 1 year old slave/throwout bearing and clutch to sell if anyone needs it.

Thanks for the help.

I picked it up today! Unfortunately the guy had sold the jeep it was in, so i wasnt able to get all the stuff i need for the swap. All i got was the tranny and t-case. I'm in need of an external slave bell housing, tranny mount, clutch,and t-case shifter mech.

I will be pulling the input off the t-case tomorrow, so if anybody needs any internals ill let you know whats left.

one thing, the tranny input shaft has some lateral play in it. Im taking a guess that the impact that destroyed the bell housing may have shock loaded the input a bit and messed something up inside. its got about 1-2mm of lateral play. is this bad..? any guesses as to what could be broken?

Thanks again

-J

it's normal for a trans to have play in the input shaft. When installed the pilot bearing/ bushing eliminates the slop.

good to hear.

how hard is it to pull the tranny apart for inspection. Ive done t-cases, but this is my first time doing anything tranny related. After 12 years of sitting around it would be nice to at least have a look inside. or should i get it open and clean everything?

its going to be a nice winter. :piratefla

Goatman said:
I've done this swap. The slave cylinder is internal in both. You'll need the t-case input shaft, since the BA10 is 21 spline and the AX15 is 23 spline. The crossmember sits further back with the AX15, but there should be another set of holes in the frame to use to move the crossmember back. Instead of moving the crossmember, I modified the BA10 trans mount to work with the AX15 by moving the holes in the mount, which required some light fabrication work.

$250 is dirt cheap for the trans and even a broken t-case. I paid $800 for the AX15 and t-case that I got. That rig was rolled and totalled so now I have that AX15 trans, t-case, and 1 year old slave/throwout bearing and clutch to sell if anyone needs it.
How much are you asking for the ax15?

Back