• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who had the "lengthened" flares, how are they holding up?

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
I remember some time back about how someone had cut each flare and then added a piece in each cut to make the flares larger. Seem like it was riveted or glued back together.
Any links to this info? and how has this held up to vibration/ time?

Larger as in longer and taller or larger as in wider?
CRASH had made some that were longer and taller...
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

...but they didn't hold up after repeated encounters with rocks(but neither did the rest of the rig).

My plan is to make them taller and wider.Ive got two full sets that I would cut and weld back together!

Longer and taller - basically to follow the contours of the MJ, while looking "stock" after cutting a substantially larger opening. How was this done, and would it have held up w/o the rock rash?

Yes, they held up well untill he stopped caring about the body.
I believe he used strips of aluminum and JB weld to bond the pieces together and then used bondo and spray paint on the outsides to smooth them out.

The easiest way to accomplish this is just going straight up with them. Heat up the bottom, where they curve under the body, with a small torch (carefully, it doesn't take much heat) and straighten this section out. Then just redrill the mounting holes. You may have to cut the flare out for the body side molding depending on year.
As the flare goes up, obviously the opening gets wider.

Back