• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not yet, but want to....

highhilleer

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to get something that will handle WV winters better than my current 2wd Astro. After considerable research, it appears the Cherokee will be a great vehicle for this. Being the owner of a classic-restomod Mustang, I particularly like the idea of having a vehicle that I can "personalize", but nothing too radical.
There is a government auction comming up next week that features three low miles Cherokees. These are basic SE's with the 6.0, auto, AMFM, & 4wd. These are 97 to 99 models with 28000 to 60000 miles. I checked an auction last week where a dealer was paying $5200 to $5800 for similar vehicles; which is KBB value for private transaction.
Question:
1) Do you think this is a reasonable price range for a vehicle that you cannot test drive.
2) Despite all the "Cherokee love" that I feel from reading this site, there must be some things that should be looked at carefully, any hints? I've heard potential issues with rusting at the top-rear-passenger corner, need to replace rotors earlier than with other cars, and "dark brown-read" transmission fluid indicating a lack of maintenance. (I've probably read about 15 pages on this site and haven't found a consistent problem to look out for, that's why I'm asking.)
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I can sympathize with you. I've got an 89 GT (replaced a 68 Fastback-sad story) which is garaged during the winter and I love my Jeep. I had an 89 Limited which worked well enough, I've now got a 97 Cherokee and so far it's been great. I haven't had it in winter yet, but the 89 managed 3 winters here in Connecticut (lighter than those in West Virginia-I used to live in Ravenswood).

Anyway, this is what I suggest to look for:
1. Water pump leaks
2. Rust in the doors
3. Rotor replacement is mostly due to improper tightening using air tools.
4. Air conditioning-the evaporator is known to leak
5. Tire wear
6. Bushings

Basically, typical maintentance stuff. Any oil leaks or differential leaks. Strange smells in the cabin, how much rust is underneath the vehicle. If the reciepts are all there, look at those. When was the oxygen sensor changed last? Were all the fluids changed at regular intervals. If you can get a "standard" transmission, jump on it. Some models may have the overhead console, a desirable option. I'm not sure what transfer case options were available, mine only has 3 positions. Listen to the engine, is there a lot of lifter clatter? Some is normal.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Those prices sound about right if youre paying wholesale costs. KBB private owner sales costs are usually in line with "actual" wholesale costs. Their "retail" prices seem astronomical sometimes. My father is a dealer and I grabbed mine at auction for 6000. Its a 98 with 70k and fully loaded in the sport trim. All the power gear. Auto.
I love mine.
BUT: I have had to do routine maintenence stuff to it so far.
switched to Mobil 1 oil and M1 oil filter.
rotors and pads. (vibration in rotors, typical)
cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires.
Serpentine belt.
And I had to replace the rear tailgate vibration dampeners. Those are the 2 little rubber pads that are mounted inside the gate door jamb. Mine were crumbling apart and the vibration was making me nutzzz.
But all those things I did were inexpensive, easy to do repairs.
I also like to go through all my new cars and make them "mine". This is just part of that process.

Atl XJ said:
its a 4.0l I6 cylinder, not a 6.0. If you find one with a 6.0, let me know I might buy it, lol.
Good point - I guess grafting on a couple of extra cylinders on to the front of the engine and installing a crank from a buick straight eight with a longer stroke would be a little too much to expect from vehicles at a government auction! ;)

Bustednutz - these are very basic vehicles as opposed to your "all power goodies". I'm good with that as for my purposes I perfer simple with fewer parts to break. Although I do expect to pay less for the basic vehicle.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back