• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the tire salesman full of it?

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at buying some Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's after reading good feedback here, at 1010 tire and the Tire Rack. When I called my local dealer (Town Fair Tire) to compare prices, he said that Bridgestone still had quality control issues with production plants in the US. If they were made in Japan, the quality would be better. He also said it would be a special order for him as they don't stock this particular tire.

Hmmm...is he just trying to avoid a special order. Or does his story ring true? He didn't try to specifically steer me to a particular tire, although he did talk about the mounting/balancing costs as well as all the "free" services they offer down the road.

I've tried to trace this story on the web and haven't come up with much. Opinions?

I've never heard of any quality control problems recently... I know of three people with AT Revo's and they love them... I'd say he's B.S. you... A sale is a sale for him whether or not it's in stock or ordered, that's what I don't understand... I'd check around at other places, that would be happy to take your money...

I've never heard anything about it, it sounds like a bunch of bs to me. If anything, I'd think that Bridgestone/Firestone would be under very strict quality control standards since the Firestone fiasco a few years back.

Fwiw, I noticed the other day that my Revos are made in Japan.

A sale isn't exactly a sale at a tire shop - shops will push brands that they "feature" because they get a better deal on them. They then have the choice of passing the savings on to the customer, or make a larger profit from the tire.

Town Fair Tire is notorious for B.S. answers/advice. I wouldn't buy a valve stem cap from them, let alone a tire....

...just my experience....

Yeah, I wasn't originally planning on buying from them, but since my wife's company has an account with them with a decent discount, I thought it was worth checking into. I didn't expect the negative attitude regarding Bridgestone. Interestingly enough, even though he didn't carry the Revo, he knew immediately what tire I was speaking of before I even mentioned Revo.

Town Fair Tire is NEVER worth checking into. The two names by which New England NAC members refer to them are "Clown Fair Tire" and "Town Unfair Tire."

I just took a tire to them about 10 days ago to have the valve stem replaced (to correct a slow leak) and have the tire rebalanced. Went back the first time and the tire hadn't been touched. Went back an hour later and the same rusty metal valve stem was still in the rim, with a glob of black goo around it. Took a lot of arguing to convince the guy that when I PAID for a new valve stem, I expected ... a new valve stem.

A week later the tire was back down to 15 psi. I took it back and made them re-do the repair, but we'll see if it holds pressure this time.

They are to be avoided at all costs, and you definitely don't want to believe what they tell you. If you're anywhere near New Haven, go to Star Tire on Orange Avenue (Route 1) in West Haven (near Ella Grasso Boulevard) and ask for Norman.

Actually, I'm in North Haven and used to live in West Haven. I remember going to Star Tire as a poor college student getting Dunlops for my 68 Fastback (alas, all I have left is a polaroid of that wonderful day). I haven't been back there in ages, I do remember their ads on cable, though.

;-)

I will second what Eagle and Andy(??) said about Town Fair Tire, I wouldnt use 'emthe two by me leave much to be desired....they will push what they make big money on, and tell you just about anything to do it.

Dont have a clue on your tire store but I can say this. Some time ago I was pulling the Bridgestone duelers off my toyota 4x4, 31x10.50s. the tires that came off were made in america and always needed huge amounts of weight to balance. He gave me 4 of the same made in Japan and needed little if any weight to balance. There definatly was a quality difference there. IMO

Back