• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can tire size reduce rollover possibilities?

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
It's time for new tires on my 97 Sport and after reading a post by Eagle, am considering going with 235/75/R15. I know that a fatter tire will not cut through the snow as readily, but will the larger footprint improve stability in emergency situations? My initial thought is "yes," but that's an uneducated guess.

I'm running 33x12.50 on my 97. Yes it helps. All the experts seem to think so anyways, but you can still turn one over(actually on it's side), as I found out soon after I put them on. Right front slightly up an embankment when the left rear slid on the, just rained on, mud.

If that's a driving concern (no pun intended) for you, then a 75-series tire isn't for you. You want something with a 50-series sidewall...but then you lose the ability to use that Jeep off-road as it is intended. Being aware of your driving conditions and knowing when to slow down or even stop is far more important to making sure your Jeep stays rubber side down...

that is a very open ended question. My thought is that it is better to have a slightly wider stance, after all "Wider is Better". As far as snow and mud, I have always heard that a lighter truck does well with a wider tire and a heavy truck does better with a thinner, taller tire. The reason is if you have a wide tire you can "float" over everything better with the less weight. To actually dig down, you need some weight behind you, so therefore the heavy truck will do better. $.02

Luda

I'm not paranoid about rollovers, but in the process of researching Bridgestone tires, realized that this is a possibility to keep in mind. And since I've got an 18 month old, I'm somewhat over-protective. I've always been confident in my driving abilities, but when it comes to the other idiots and their impaired abilities (eating cereal while driving, applying make-up, cell phones, reading the newspaper, combinations of all the above), I like to be aware of my options.

As I do want the off-road capabilities, it seems as if the 235's are the way to go. I don't think I will lose any mpg, and the wider profile should be good for all seasons.

If you are researching Bridgestone tires and you want something safe since you have a baby, look into the Dueler A/T Revo if you are looking for an A/T tire or the Dueler H/L if you are looking for more of a hwy all season. They are both excellent tires with great road manners. I have the Revos on my XJ and I had the Dueler H/Ls on my old Blazer. The H/Ls are not an offroad tire though.

The A/T Revo's are exactly what I'm looking at. I just started another thread on what my local salesman is telling me-basically that the quality is questionable if made in the USA.

The 235 75 X 15 is a bit taller, it´s gonna have some effect. But IMO, much of the instabilty, that leads to a roll over is in the sidewalls. I´ve got 225 X 70 16´s (Michelin M/S) on the wifes XJ, the one we normally use for long trips and high speeds. They are about 1/2" smaller than the 235 75 R 15, but noticeably more stabile, on the road.
She rolled her 87, with Goodyear A/T´s 235 75 R 15´s. Though the tire wasn´t the major contributor to the rollover, it was a factor. The flex in the sidewalls, always did make it a bit squirrely, in sharp turns and sudden changes of directions. Even if the ride is a little harsher, something with a strong sidewall, helps when the Jeep gets sideways.

he's not building a canyon-carving import here.. its an XJ.... by nature it will handle differently in emergency situations.. a properly inflated tire is a main key in vehicle stability... 235s will "feel" better under you.. and will make it look better... mileage affect will really be minimal...

sidriptide said:
he's not building a canyon-carving import here.. its an XJ.... by nature it will handle differently in emergency situations.. a properly inflated tire is a main key in vehicle stability... 235s will "feel" better under you.. and will make it look better... mileage affect will really be minimal...
The difference in the overall height (body) between my 30X9.50 15 and the wifes 225X70 16 is 3/4" at the body ( don´t hit the control arms) and half that at the pumkin. The slightly wider tire, shorter/stiffer sidewall, make a marked improvement in handling, the M/S tire isn´t that much different from an A/T in capabilities. Used Jeep rims (16"), most of which look better, than what was switched to IMO, are common and cheap, most times. The silver 5 spokes (Jeep OEM 16"), look good on the black XJ and the tire fills out the wheel well good.
If I had to pick one, to get out of shape in, it would definately be the wifes. No major, mod.´s just tuning what you got a bit.
IMO after putting a few miles on various XJ´s in the last 17 years or so, the wifes, the way it is set up now, would have less chance of a roll in most situations I can picture and better than the other tires I´ve driven, stock 215`s, 225`s, or 235X75 AT´s or 30X9.50´s M/T´s. I´ve tried a few different brands, but by no means everybodies.
Speaking of canyon racing, I´ve done a bit, you get a feel after awhile, of what works. Guess it´s all a compromise anyway. I´d sure enough pick the M/T´s for mud.
The 235 X 75 R 15 A/T´s of which I´ve tried three different brands, are a good all around tire (good in packed snow), but can be a bit quirky on the XJ, on the street. Especialy with some worn suspension parts. I deal with it, took some getting used to.

Back