• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Input on Ford Diesel.

MountainGoat

NAXJA Forum User
Today I came across an 1985 F250 ExtCab with a diesel. Im not sure which diesel it has yet. Ive seen both the I6 Cummins and a V8 were used. Anyway guy is asking 1200 for the truck and it is a 4x4 with automatic transmission. Anyone have any experience with the year and model? Mileage?

If I do get this truck I might have to sale my XJ.

that should be the 6.9L or 7.3L V-8 non turbo, long life, better mileage than gas engines in a loaded truck. not high horsepower.

How many miles?
Those trucks have a very good life span, depending on how they were maint.
The tranny will need replacing soon if it is still original.
If this truck has less than 200,000 miles, it would be an OK buy.
$1200.00 wont get you much these days.

Its not a Cummins if it is in a ford unless someone other than the factory put it there. That engine is found in DODGE TRUCKS.....

MountainGoat said:
Ford also had the cummins.

They are very rare, like the Izuzu/duramax in a dodge, or a Navistar chevy.
No, really, if they put a cummings in a ford I have never heard of such a thing. Are you sure????

junkxj said:
They are very rare, like the Izuzu/duramax in a dodge, or a Navistar chevy.
No, really, if they put a cummings in a ford I have never heard of such a thing. Are you sure????

There's no 'g' in 'Cummins.'

Well now Im not so sure... a few sources show the Cummins being use... but most of the others say its an IH 6.9 diesel. And another says its an IH 4.9 diesel... I hope the guy calls me back so I can find out.

MountainGoat said:
Well now Im not so sure... a few sources show the Cummins being use... but most of the others say its an IH 6.9 diesel. And another says its an IH 4.9 diesel... I hope the guy calls me back so I can find out.
They used Cummins moters in some of their bigger trucks.Like the f650s and such but never in a pickup.
The older non-turbo diesls were junk...Maybe a good moter as far as being reliable but no power at all. Not picking on fords here(although I hate them) This is true with almost all non-turbo moters.
I wouldn't buy it unless you wanna spend major $$$ on a turbo kit

JeepFreak21 said:
Ford did use the Cummins, and from what I understand currently own them. Rumors are that Ford will use the Cummins in the near future while Dodge will run a Mercedes Diesel.
Billy
You have been hearing a rumor that has been running around for YEARS. It is NOT TRUE in any way. This was one started because Ford guys were green with envy because dodge had it.
Dodge might one day maybe use the mercedes diesel but Ford in no way has anything to do with Cummins. If they did trust me they would have used along time ago.

I would love to know what year fords, f350 and under used the cummins. I know International has alot to do with the 6.9 n/t and power stroke, but I have never heard of a light duty ford truck with a cummins engine. I would also like to know where this info came from.

A friend of mine that is a die hard "I Only Buy USA and not any Jap Crap!" kinda guy was hardcore on IH Scouts.... Because they were Pure USA trucks... he wasn't to happy when I told him that IH used the Nissan Diesels in some of their rigs.

I know that Volkswagen AG (Germany) contracts Cummins in Canada to do any rebuilds on VW diesel engines in the North American market (USA&Canadian). Also Daimler signed a contract with VW AG for something like 186,000 TDI engines they have earmarked to use in Dodges. At first the rumor in the VW community was they might be used in the Liberty.... now that the Benz diesel is confirmed the second vehicle up for grabs was the PT Cruiser and they would be using the 2.0 TDI diesels with 134hp/247ft-lbs and should see at least 28mpg city and 38mpg Hwy. We happen to own a 1.9TDI and we actually average about 45mpg city and 50-58mpg hwy going 75mph. One nice thing is with an Upsolute chip that 2.0 TDI rises to about 178hp/327ft-lbs at the wheels, and you keep the same fuel economy. Add a little larger injector and it goes to just over 200hp/370ft-lbs.
All from a 2 liter 4 cylinder diesel that doesnt weigh much.

International in Brazil now supplies Land Rover with their diesel engine.

JeepFreak21 said:
Ford did use the Cummins, and from what I understand currently own them. Rumors are that Ford will use the Cummins in the near future while Dodge will run a Mercedes Diesel.
Billy

Yes, these are rumors, and have been around for a long time. Ford uses Cummins motors, and I think Cats too, in their heavy duty trucks like F650-F750, but in the F250-F350 it has ALWAYS been the Navistar V8. The '85 would be a 6.9L non-turbo, which was pretty reliable but didn't have much power......like has already been said. BTW, I work at a Ford dealership and have for over 10 years.

DrMoab said:
You have been hearing a rumor that has been running around for YEARS. It is NOT TRUE in any way. This was one started because Ford guys were green with envy because dodge had it.
Dodge might one day maybe use the mercedes diesel but Ford in no way has anything to do with Cummins. If they did trust me they would have used along time ago.

Sorry, Ford did buy, and currently owns, Cummins. Hence the rumors of Ford eventually using the Cummins, not because we were green with envy. :) Cummins has a contractual agreement with Dodge, regardless of Ford owning them. Ford is doing very well with the Powerstroke, dwarfing the sales of the Dodge Cummins, so it's pure speculation that Ford would rather have the Cummins than the Powerstroke. Ford is even profiting from Cummins motors going into Dodges.

How do you like them apples?

:D

Back