• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow...It is about time!!

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
It is finally snowing after threatening to for several days. Most of the day it has been raining, but the temp has dropped now and the white stuff is falling.

Not too much now, but it should be enough to make all the supid drivers come out en mass. So that ought to be interesting.

Now I get to see how my Auburn does in the snow, and if I need 4hi, I get to experience the front locker too. Hopefully I wont be posting up a Kejtar-esque "I rolled it today" thread.

Fergie

Take it easy with the front locker at first. Mine doesn't like to turn dead throttle so I just turn the wheels where I want to go and then roll on the throttle. Other than that I really can't tell the difference.

Supid AZ freaks. We've got no snow yet.

Thanks for the advice. I am a bit leary about the locker on slick stuff, so it may be some deserted parking lot driving to get used to it.

Off to class...contract negotiating can blow me.

Fergie

There's about a foot at the 7500ft mark and it tapers out to nothing at 6000. Had that wierd quietness this morning but nothing on the valley floors yet.

Fergie, you should have pulled your rear driveline and driven like that for a few days. Snow driving with a locker would have been easy. Just remember to brake before you get there and then give it a little gas through the corners.

Last winter my swamps had lost their edge and snow driving in 2x was scary. I got caught in a sudden storm (was raining when I left) with the hubs unlocked. I tapped the brakes while pulling over to lock them in and was in an instant shallow slide off the road. Tried backing off and feathering the gas but it wouldn't hook back up. I had a grand plan to try and hold it until I cleared a sign then gas it hard to get the nose pointed down a 20' bank into a field before the next power pole. Luckily the shoulder was soft and as soon as the tires left the pavement it stuck. Picked the seat out of my butt, got out locked in the hubs and was on my way.

If yours handles better than that in two wheel drive the locker in the front will be a no brainer. Sorta like supid easy.

The snow is a real wet snow. The kind the compacts and gives ZERO traction. I aired my tires down to 18 for cruising as I still had a class to go to and had to pick my wife up from work, and also ended up pulling my buddies out.

They decided to go ride their quads in the snow and one driving a 2wd Dakota pulled off the side of the road and promptly got stuck. They tried pulling him out with their quads, but that didnt work so they called me and I came and yanked them out.

I had to put it in 4 to pull them out, and I REALLY need to replace my t-case chain. Even in 4hi(what I used), the chain would slip a few times before it caught.

The Auburn did freakin awesome other than the extraction. So now I know what my weekend project is...chain replacement!!

Fergie

CW said:
WTF? It snowed in AZ before it did here?
I was thinking the same thing...the ski areas are getting white stuff and a few may open early but there hasn't been any in the Front Range yet; I don't think we've even had frost yet!

I heard on the news last night that Alta ski resort here in SLC got 56 inches of snow!!! Thats a ton for october. Sounds like we might be performing a vehicle rescue here today up there somewhere.

It is snowing here in NORTHERN Alberta. That is why we are going to Arizona on the 27th of Oct. Then I see on the board that Flagstaff AZ has the white stuff too. Damn...Oh well, we go to YUMA where the sun shines and the white stuff stays away.

092004_Full.jpg

Snowbird...9-22-04

102104_Full.jpg

Snowbird......10-21-04 40"+ of powder and stilll coming down......winter's come to the Wasatch Range early this year, and we're praying it doesn't stop until April. 6yrs of drought is plenty.......

I would love to be there right now! Even Flagstaff is too hot for me in the summer. it looks like we are going to have a close to zero degree night, so that ought to be nice and brisk.

As far as Yuma goes....well Chili Peppers is good. And the Dog Taco Stand down in Algadones is some pretty damn good.

Fergie

Quite nice actually. The snow is pretty much melted by now, but the San Francisco Peaks are breathtaking right now. Makes me happy to live in Flagstaff. We are supposed to be receiving more snow on either Wednesday or Thursday, so hopefully I will have my t-case fixed by then and can actually use 4wd.

Fergie

It started snowing on me on my 90 mile drive back down to school. 36x12.50 TSL's and caster issues made it a little interesting in the white stuff. I can't wait untill I get my lockers in.:doh:

can i snag a snowmobile and come snowmobiling? i cant ski for crap, and never tried snowboarding, even tho i only grew up an hr away from mt hood, white pass, snoqualmie pass, and a couple hours from whistler....

Back