• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end swap

boardrider247

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 xj needs a new rear end. I have access to a 88 limited's rear end. I was thinking of using this as a replacement while I rebuild mine. Will it bolt up? If not what will need to be changed? Thanks

It will bolt in fine. If you have ABS, the '88 axle won't so you'll lose that.

If the '88 is a Dana 35 and yours is a Dana 35, the drive shaft should be the correct length. If yours is a Chrysler 8.25 axle and the '88 is a Dana 35, your drive shaft will be too short. If yours is a Dana 35 and the '88 is by some miracle a Dana 44, your drive shaft will be too long.

Eagle said:
It will bolt in fine. If you have ABS, the '88 axle won't so you'll lose that.

If the '88 is a Dana 35 and yours is a Dana 35, the drive shaft should be the correct length. If yours is a Chrysler 8.25 axle and the '88 is a Dana 35, your drive shaft will be too short. If yours is a Dana 35 and the '88 is by some miracle a Dana 44, your drive shaft will be too long.

dont forget to check the gear ratio... any ratio will be ok as long as you are aware of it... suggest taking out the front d/shaft in the meantime if the rear doesnt match your front gears.... see if you can get the d/shaft from the donor vehicle if its available...

If its the D44....I have a freshly rebuilt D35 with a lunch box locker in it.

I will trade you straight up and pay for all of the shipping. Let me know.

[email protected]

boardrider247 said:
Is there a tag on the truck stating the gear ratio. If so where is it or how can I find out? thanks

Back