• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail-rated vs Rubicon-capable

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else remember back when Jeep used to claim that all their vehicles were capable of traversing the Rubicon? A thought just hit me (came right out of the blue and slapped me the little bastard!:mad: ) about the new shift towards marketing all the vehicles are now "Trail-Rated". That's a handy change cuz whereas before saying you could take on the Rubicon made a concrete statement as to the toughnes and abilities of the vehicle, calling it trail-rated can be changed to mean just about any trail from the Rubicon to a two track dirt path that your average sedan could handle. This kinda fits in with the shift to IFS on every newly intro'd vehicle (KJ, new Grand), and especially planned future vehicles. I can't remember the name but they're talking about a "cute-ute" type of vehicle soon: FWD, IFS, street-oriented. Glad to own one of the pre-Trail Rated Jeeps :D

ah christ.......

they're multiplying......

ketchup.jpg

:eyes:

that "trail rated" crap is just gimmickery.
When I was a kid I had a Murray BMX bike from the department store that said "track certified" but it was a piece of crap.
it's not like they did anything but slap a decal on. It's gonna be pretty sad now when Xterra's and 4 runners and other crap starts out wheeling JEEP.
JEEP doesn't mean much today.

It's an end-game to allow DC to avoid a Rubicon trip to prove the point regarding trail capability.

If you have not heard, the Rubicon may soon become regulated for travel by permit only, and demand a fee to travel (including a significant fee for corporations who wish to use the trail in advertisements). DC will avoid the fee by avoiding association with the Rubicon.

On the other hand, the Rubicon will also likely have the most difficult section removed to eliminate the attraction that appears to cause trouble on the trail. With the kinder and gentler Rubicon DC has a better chance of an easy trip, even with IFS.

Either way, discussing the direction of future jeeps is hasta

The only fwd jeep should be one with a broke driveshaft

BlackSport96 said:
Does anyone else remember back when Jeep used to claim that all their vehicles were capable of traversing the Rubicon?

That claim should be taken with a grain of salt.

jeepguy97 said:
Each new Jeep vehicle is still driven over the Rubicon trail. So not to worry.
I don't believe that is correct. The Liberty was "taken" over the Rubicon, but there are serious questions as to whether or not it legitimately "drove" the Rubicon. Credible reports indicate lots of rock stacking and some strapping were involved.

I have not heard any claims from DCX that the 2005 Grand Cherokee has been anywhere near the Rubicon.

I don't believe that is correct. The Liberty was "taken" over the Rubicon, but there are serious questions as to whether or not it legitimately "drove" the Rubicon. Credible reports indicate lots of rock stacking and some strapping were involved.

I have not heard any claims from DCX that the 2005 Grand Cherokee has been anywhere near the Rubicon.

I dunno about the new ones, but the old style grands were taken over the Rubicon. As to the liberty, it may have been strapped and rocks stacked but it was still tested on the Rubicon and I was assuming that was the point. Gota give em credit for at least taking it to the Rubicon.

Supposedly the GM engineers took out the new H2's to test them on the Rubicon and also took a Rubicon TJ and the TJ went all over the place unlike the Hwhatever acording to JP.

The Colodaro does look like a decent truck only wish they offered the I6 with it instead of the I5.

The nice thing about the Colorado is their size, similar to a MJ. DC would make some money in the small pickup market with a new MJ, since the Dakota is bigger than some folks really want in a compact pickup.

they would also make a killing bringing back the xj and mj offered with a rubicon package and 31" tires from the factory

I'd be willing to bet they would not sell all that many. The majority of XJ's that were sold were sold to soccer moms. Most soccer moms dont want a rubicon edition of the XJ. I'm not saying it would not be cool... I'm just saying I doubt they'd make a killing.

-Scott

BTW, I wouldn't buy one of those new grand's for a while. I work near New Venture Gear where they build the transfer cases and tranny's and I see them still testing the new grands every day. I asked an employee and he wouldn't tell me much except that their having alot of problems with the new transfer cases. Every day from early summer 'till now they are driving a fleet of them around in a parking lot beating on them. They drive for a few feet and slam on the brakes, then stomp on the gas and repeat. All day long. It's scary to think they're selling those things before they even get it right.
New Venture also just sold to "Magna Drivetrain" recently for anyone who cares.

Back