• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nosedives and Saggies.....

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got an '01 XJ Sport that is all stock and runs well, but under moderate and especially hard braking, this thing nosedives BIGTIME. Ive felt a little droop before but this really feels bad and is quite scary sometimes. Ive had some tell me its because of the front coil springs are too soft too resist the downward motion and I therefore need stiffer springs. Yet others say its the shocks that are bad and are not resisting the downward motion. I will admit the front coils do look a bit wimpy for a jeep, but could this be the problem?Thought of going with KYB gas adjusts and set them on firm. What does anybody think? Also, the rear leaf springs seem very flat for a jeep thats only 3years old. Is this normal? Seems like the back end sits about an inch or so lower than the front, and doesnt look good. Should I use an add-a-leaf so it doesnt sag when towing, or go with a taller shackle? I would like to lift it an inch or two and maybe be done with the whole thing. What do you all think or suggest? Btw, this did not come with the tow package, does it matter?

The front coils are weak on these things, I hated the nosedives on braking. I ordered a set of Old Man EMU coils that were designed to lift it 2 inches, and I had to cut them down, but I got a major improvement in braking and handling. Thought they were almost $200, which is rediculus, but it was worth it. Yes the leafs are supposed to be flat, but if you are lower in the back, what you can do is add an add-a-leaf but take out one of the factory leaves. I say this because adding the addaleaf alone would lift it at least 3 inches, which would look bad. I installed addaleves and removed the factory leaf that would have been right above the addaleaf. Gave me about 2 inches, which was still a little high, but would be perfect for you-put you at just a bit higher in rear than front, which looks great.

Also, you could get some rancho RS-9000s for the front only, and set them firm to really help get rid of the nosedives. They are expensive, but come with a lifetime warranty, so they are the last ones you will buy, probably $170 for the pair.

BCKNBLK said:
Ive got an '01 XJ Sport that is all stock and runs well, but under moderate and especially hard braking, this thing nosedives BIGTIME. Ive felt a little droop before but this really feels bad and is quite scary sometimes. Ive had some tell me its because of the front coil springs are too soft too resist the downward motion and I therefore need stiffer springs. Yet others say its the shocks that are bad and are not resisting the downward motion. I will admit the front coils do look a bit wimpy for a jeep, but could this be the problem?Thought of going with KYB gas adjusts and set them on firm. What does anybody think? Also, the rear leaf springs seem very flat for a jeep thats only 3years old. Is this normal? Seems like the back end sits about an inch or so lower than the front, and doesnt look good. Should I use an add-a-leaf so it doesnt sag when towing, or go with a taller shackle? I would like to lift it an inch or two and maybe be done with the whole thing. What do you all think or suggest? Btw, this did not come with the tow package, does it matter?
You CANNOT judge the condition of your springs visually. You MUST measure. Measure from the center of the wheel/hubcap/whatever straight up to the bottom edge of the flare lip. The accepted "standard" dimensions are 17.5" for the front, 17.0" for the rear. The rear springs are designed to run flat -- that's because they run above the axle. All XJs are like that, and every couple of weeks someone posts that their springs are defective because they look flat.

Basically, you need front shocks. Try KYBs if you wish. I tried them in my '88 at my brother's suggestion. Should have known better -- I hated them, and took them out within two months. MUCH too stiff and harsh, even set on soft. I went with off-the-shelf Monroes, and well over 100,000 miles later I'm still happy with them.

Back