• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water leak coming from wiring harness

BiggerIsBetter

NAXJA Forum User
Its been raining for the past week on and off and my drivers side floor is wet. I've delt with this before and thought I had fixed it. Well one more spot to go. I know for a fact the water is leaking from where the wiring harness goes into the firewall. My question is how can I disconnect the harness to replace the seal? I know there are two screws holding it from the inside, but last time I messed with it I couldn't get it apart. Any tips/tricks/advice would be great. Thanks.

I will put silicone on after to be extra safe. But, I can't apply it to all for sides of the harness because its wedged between the wheel well and master cylinder, I really need to just remove the whole thing. Last time I removed both screws to get it disconnected from the firewall, but it seems there are clips or something holding it in? Any ideas?

Yank really hard.... no, just kidding. Don't do that. Follow the wires as best you can, usually when I find a stuck wiring harness there is a tiny little clip somewhere. Just pick around until you find it.

I messed with it and finally got it apart. On engine side of the firewall there is a bolt in between the two wiring harness bundles that go into the cab, which I couldn't see. Now that I got both sides apart I could put a nice silicone bead around the slot for the harness. I put the harness back together on the firewall, did the hose test, and no more leaks.

Just go to the parts store and pick up a tube of "dielectric greas"e and apply to all the pins and then reassemble. It is the time tested way to keep moisture from messing with multi-pin connectors and shorting them to each other. Hate when the blue smoke comes of out stuff.

Dielectric grease it actually a non-condutive silicone which keep the weather out. With the connector clean the pins will touch each other, the dielectric just fills in the spaces between the pins.

Also I can not fully picture if the water coming into the vehicle or leaving the vehicle. You may be just fixing a symptom not the problem by reworking this connector..

Back