• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need NP231 Manual (1996)

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Title says it all - I thought one came up on here a few weeks ago but the terms are too common to find it through Search. At a minimum, I need to replace the front output on my 231...or worse. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks...

I have never heard of replaceing the front output-shaft, most likely you will have to replace the front output-shaft bearings. I quess the question is What makes you think the output-shaft?. If and when you do, you should replace the rear output-shaft bearing as well. just my two cents..

What is the transfer case doing, or not doing, e-mail me back channel, and I can send you a .pdf of the 1997 year nv231,from the 1997 fsm. I would bet it is pretty much the same case, the only thing I know of that changed post 1995 was the rear output.

Dang...gotta stop posting at 0-dark-thirty...front output seal needs to be replaced, but I have a nagging feeling there will be more found as I get into it...

Take a look at your front pinion bearings, most everytime I´ve had issues with the front transfer seal and/or bearings, the front pinion bearings (pre load) needed adjustment or more. Don´t really know if they wear at about the same rate or the the vibration is what causes the problems.

Just had the front axle regeared, but there's a thread in the Modified Forum covering the questions I have about the quality (or lack thereof) in his work. Dammit....

Hey, Yucca, get in touch with me. I have tons of spare NP231 parts and can help with any tools you may need. I am rebuilding two tcases as we speak. It's not hard. Just pull the case and bring it over. It should be a 30 minute job. If necessary I can lend you a vehicle for a day if needed.

Tom, if I pull the case I can't go anywhere ;) I'll call you next week to see what you're up to on these critters anyway; thanks.

Jeff - that link didn't work; do you have to be a member of whatever Yahoo group that is?

Art - you've got PM

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
Back