• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Question because of Tire Shop

Silverxj2000

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know that the largest tire (thanks to NAXJA) that will fit a Cherokee is a 225/75 R15 which by my calculations is 28.87" in diameter less tread? I looked at www.tirerack.com and their specs for various 225/75 R15 tires for the diameter is 29.0 I have a 16 x 8 rim (5.375 Back Spacing / Stock cherokee is 5.25) with 235/70 R16 (Pirelli Scorpion S/T) (thus the diameter with my calculations is 28.95". With a look at www.tirerack again their specs for various 235/70 R16 tires for the diameter is 29.1 to 29.3.. Well the tire shop said those tires would not fit without rubbing but I already have that size of tire I was just looking at getting new tires either the Dunlop Radial Mud Rover or the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT with a more aggressive tread. Do these tires have to agressive tread pattern/tread depth that they would cause me problems. Or when NAXJA suggest that the 225/75 R15 fits without rubbing does that assume the most aggressive tread pattern/depth. Thanks

I don't think you will have any problem with that size tire. The dimensional differences are negligible.

I've had the Dunlop tires. They were ok but I like my Kuhmo's (off-road max traction tire) much better and they were cheaper. I don't have any trouble with my 235/75/15's rubbing and I am stock heighth. You may have rubbing if your susp. is sagged though...

ok first off 225/75/15 is not the biggest tire that will fit a stock XJ it just happens to be the biggest size they ever came from the factory with. I have 30x9.50x15's on my 94 stock no rubbing no problems so I dont think you will have any trouble fitting a 29" tire.Unless your suspention is severly sagging.

I ran 30X9.50 Pirelli Scorpion A/T on my stock '98 with no trouble.

I'm running 235 75 R15's with hardly any rubbing and NO WEAR from the rubbing on a sagging stock vehicle. Rubbing only occurs when I turn the wheel all the way to one side while turning sharply on pavement.

I went to a tire shop and they said that 225 was the biggest too, then I looked at what I was running and showed them mine so they said that their computers just listed what they were manufactured with. I dont rub my fenders during wheeling at all either.

I run 235/75/R15s with no rubbing.

30.50x9.50 15's on stock rims and stock ride height. Only rubbing on left front when stuffed at full left turn. Mosty highway driving and no problems.

Ace_437 said:
I'm running 235/70/15 and no rubbing. What size is that in inches? :) I have no clue.
www.4lo.com Metric Tire conversion...

A 225/75x15 tire should be 28.3" in diameter. A 235/75x15 tire should be 28.9" in diameter. But those are only theoretical, calculated sizes.

In truth, every tire is a little different. So, theoretically, a 235/75x15 tire should be 28.9" in diameter, but in reality one manufacturer's 235 tire might be 27" tall and another's might be 30" tall. That's why you see different "opinions" about what tire will fit on a stock XJ.

The bottome line is that most 235/75x15 tires will fit with no rubbing, but a few might rub a little bit. Some 30/9.50x15 tires will fit with no rubbing, but most will rub at full lock and stuff, especially if you disconnect the swaybar when off-road (as you should).

If you want to be absolutely CERTAIN of no rubbing, EVER!, under ANY cricumstances, then you should probably stick to 225/75x15 tires. My guess, though, is that rubbing would normally not be a problem with a 235/70x16 tire. And if it is, it should be easily cured with a very small adjustment of the steering stop, or small (less than 1/2") height adjustments.

Height (diameter) is what matters regarding rubbing on the inner fender liner at full stuff (suspension compression). Width is what matters in regard to rubbing against the lower control arms at full steering lock. The "225" part of a tire designation is the cross-section width in millimeters. The "70" or "75" part is the aspect ratio, which is the cross-section height as a percentage of the cross-section width.

This means that a 235/75 and a 235/70 should (theoretically) be the same width, but the 70-series will be lower. In fact, on the late-model XJs the Sports came with 225/75R15 tires and the Classics came with 225/70R16 tires -- they are the same size, within a very small tolerance.

It's also true that different manufacturers and different tires vary slightly within a particular nominal size ... but it will never be as extreme as an inch or more in diameter for the same nominal size. Log onto some web sites like BFG and Cooper Tire and check out several of their different tires to get an idea of the range.

I run 30x9.50R15s on a stock height XJ and a stock height MJ. Haven't had any rubbing at full compression, but they do rub the lower control arms on sharp turns. That seems to be most people's experience. The maximum size that will fit with zero rubbing seems to be 235/75R15. The 16" equivalent would be a 235/70R16, which probably isn't a standard size with most manufacturers. 245/70R16 is commonly availble, but it's approaching the samwe size as a 30x9.50R15.

Just a quick update

After the new leaf springs and the new shocks I went and purchased

Dunlop RVXT 235/70 R16 tires for my 2000 Cherokee, and all is great, the tires handled fantastic in the snow this past wednesday and thursday, and there is no rubbing on the LCA at full lock...hope this helps someone...

Back