• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the Hub Nut of a D30

KarmirXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to remove the Nut that is securing the Hub (32mm) the problem is that the axle is not on the jeep, its on jacks. I try to turn it but the whole axle shaft /yoke turn. How can i combat this without an impact wrench. I have a 3 ft on the wrench and a 32mm socket ready to go only thing I need to figure out is to stop the damn thing from spinning

:doh: oh ya thats right i ment 36mm.. i tried that but still there is no way to keep the damn axle 'still' while I try to twist the nut... Im sure I can loosen that nut with a 3-4 foot pole at the end of the socket wrench. But keeping the axle still while keeping the the shafts from turning is the problem

I used a prybar wedged in the wheel studs and touching the ground. Use the prybar in the studs with one hand, and your socket in the other.:confused:
Good luck.

Prybar

Bill has it right. Get a long bar and wedge it between the the wheel studs. I try to get the breaker bar in position to stand on it (you might not have 280 pounds of incredible bulk to use lol). Get someone else to stand on the long bar and then go to town on the nut. I bought a 3/4" breaker bar and an impact reducer to 1/2" just for these nuts and it works like a charm. You may have to get another long bar for the other side of the axle for stability.

why bother with all of that hassle? you can just have someone hold the brake pedal down while u break the nuts loose. is there something wrong with doing this that i'm not aware of?

Brad

bradlyw said:
why bother with all of that hassle? you can just have someone hold the brake pedal down while u break the nuts loose. is there something wrong with doing this that i'm not aware of?

Brad

His first sentence said:
"Im trying to remove the Nut that is securing the Hub (32mm) the problem is that the axle is not on the jeep, its on jacks"

I have a piece of 2"x2"angle(1/4" wall) about 4' long.It been drilled for at least 3 wheel patterns and several flywheel setups.It will definately hold any load.They also sell a setup that allows the impact of a "BFH" to knock them loose.

The hot ticket is a BFPipewrench. It'll hold the axle against a long pipe twisting the axle nut.

Back