• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch wiring diagram?

HJ88

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any websites or other sources of a wiring diagram for the ignition switch or an 88' XJ? Renix system i beleive... ive been having trouble lately with starting... starts up, runs for a second, then dies... awhile back i was able to get it to run if i held the key in a certain position after starting... but then that stoped working.... i replaced the switch... which meant bending the rods to fit the new switch since the one that was on the car in the first place was completly different... after about 4 or 5 tries it finally runs, then after 2 or 3 successful starts it goes again..... so this time i went down to the wrecking yard and picked up a tilt column from an 89' xj... switch, rods, both switches, everything.... install that.... the plug for the cruise control wasnt the same as what was on my old column, no big deal, i never use the CC anyway... then a 3 prong plug at the 9 o'clock position (if looking down the coulmb from the drivers seat) had a different plug shape from the one on the original column, so i swapped the one from the original and reset the ignition switch on the new column while i was at it...plugged it all together... same thing, start then die, start then die. now as im unplugging the switch again i notice that 2 of the wires are missing in one of the plugs (contact terminals B-1 and B-2).... so im thinking that maybe the wires just fell out the back of the plug.... but theres no loose end wires anywhere on the wiring harness.... hence my original question.... I've been searching everywhere for a really detailed wiring diagram of the 88' renix system.... in hopes of being able to locate these other two wires.... the previous owner of my jeep did alot of hacking of the electrical system.... so its hard to diagnose things... ive looked in the downloaded version of the 1988 cherokee FSM... not broad enough... if anyone perhaps has a picture of the plugs and wire colors for an ignition switch I'd greatly appreciate it...

~hj

oh BTW, ive also checked the fuel pump ballast resistor, fuel pump relay, b latch relay, ignition relay, fuel pressure, TPS, and MAP sensors for the starting and die problem aswell, and they were all fine...

thanks anyway... i also downloaded the renix fuel injection manual... and it didnt have a good one either.... and when i looked at the ecu in the car it says bendix, not renix.... and here i thought all the pre 90s cherokees ran on the renix system... or is it just made by bendix? i know they make alot of OEM stuff.... oh well...

no i havent.... i thoght it would probably be about the same as the chilton book.... but i did just find the wiring diagram for the ignition switch in the fsm. but to my horror it didnt even show pins B-1 and B-2... maybe there isnt suposed to be wires running to them.... because they're connected anyways.... but then why are they included in the connections for starting and running?

Back