• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from 3.5 to 4.5?

AZ DESERT RAT

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running a 3.5 RE lift with long travel OME shocks..I really want to go to 4.5 but was wondering what kind of parts I will need to do this..is it just a matter of adding taller coil springs and a blocks in the rear? Or will I need a drop pitman arm, UCA's, tie rod, trackbar, etc. What would be the best(and cost efficient) way to do this in your opinions...thanks....

Pitman arm, if you need one ( I don't think you will) you can pull one from a grand. You should already have a new track bar w/ 3.5" of lift. If not, get an adjustable one. The tie rod is fine and so are the upper control arms but you might need new lower Control Arms (that's the que for a real expert to chime in on the LCA's because this is what's stopping me from doing the same to my 3.5" lift). Hope that helps.

So a stock Grand Cherokee pitman arm will work.....I have the superflex lower control arms....will they work..or do I need longer ones? And no I dont have a trackbar yet...was kicking the idea around if I could find one at a reasonable price....thanks for the tips...what about a SYE...I have a T-case drop now and 2.5 degree shims...

No real need for SYE. The Grand Cherokee Pitman arm works as a drop. The control arms don't really have to be longer, just bent so that when you flex, they don't hit one of the mounts. If they're aftermarket, they should be good. But I am runnin stock LCA's on 3.5" and don't know if i would need new LCA's for 1.5 inch BB.

Mine sits at 3.5" (Skyjacker lift, non-adjustable LCA's). I've taken it up to 4", 4.5", and 5.25" and it just doesn't ride good. I suspect it's mostly because of the angle of the arms and the length of the LCA's. YMMV.

AZ DESERT RAT said:
guess I've got some more research to do...thanks again....if anyone has a 4.5 let me know some of the pro's and con's....

go to Yuuca-man.com I think it is. Or search him out around here. He did his and has a full write up on it that I'm useing as a template for my 4.5 lift.

Using shackles is better then using blocks I think. With shackles you also turn your axle slightly up and therefor minimizes driveline vibes.

Back