• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dragging Brakes

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just a few days ago my brakes started dragging a bit. Then the other day on the way home from work the passenger side front brake started really getting hot and was dragging bad. Pulled over and she was a smokin'. The jeep would pull slightly to the right when normal driving but when I applied the brakes it would pull hard to the left. After I let it cool a bit I drove the last couple of miles to the house. Yanked the tire and caliper off and let em cool. The rotor was blued after that due to the heat. Changed the passenger side rotor and both sides pads. Today when I drove it to work it seemed to be starting the same thing. I read through the archives here a bit and this evening flushed the fluid (with a brand new bottle of fluid) on both sides and did a good visual inspection. After the test drive it still does it. What the heck? It is really dangerous to drive and I need to get her back on the road. HELP!!

No I haven't change that yet, talked to a friend that had the same problem and he changed the caliper and it fixed it but it happened again a year or so later.

You don't say what year it is, but first you need to see if the caliper piston itself is sticking. Does it push back easily? If it seems to be all right, you should also check, especially if it's a later model, to see if the rails on which the pads seat are worn, notched, chipped, etc. I think that usually just causes rattling, but it might also cause it to catch and drag. Make sure the surface is clean and free of rust too. Finally, if everything checks out all right, it's possible you have a bad flexible hose to the caliper. Sometimes the hoses deteriorate inside, and a flap of hose will constrict it internally or act as a one-way valve, causing the brake to drag. New hoses are a pretty good idea every once in a while anyway, so it might be worth trying.

You are probably going to have to replace the calipers. This happened to me last year. I fixed one side, 2 weeks later the other side went out. I would just do both at the same time. Not that hard, and not too costly either.

90red

Back