• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you tow?

LawlessXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for your experiences with towing behind your lifted/moded XJ. What are you towing, approx weight, etc. and what are your basic specs on the XJ.

I believe the stock towing cap. for my '97 w/auto tran is at 5k. Of course as you go taller etc. that changes somewhat at least safety/stability wise.

Lookin' for real world firsthand experience here, not personal theory.

Thanks much!

I have towed 4500 lbs with my 89 XJ and its lifted 2-3" using an Add-a-leaf suspension. The trailer was an 18-foot tandem axle loaded with lumber. Stability was no big deal. The problem is a severe lack of braking. It seemed to me that my stopping distances doubled. I have stock brakes with new pads,shoes, and rear brake hardware and new front brake lines. I plan to replace the master cyl and wheel cyl. soon, but I wouldn't do this type of towing often without the trailer having brakes. I also think a brake upgrade is mandatory if you intend to tow near the limit often. The problem will be compounded if you go to larger tires- the trailer will tow you if you have to make a sudden stop forget it. Mind you my situation is in the flat lands. In the mountains-good luck. Power is OK. Stability OK. The AAL rides like hell but I had very little squat in the rear with this set-up.

The most I've towed with mine is 3k. that is a 7 inch lift, 35" tires, 4.88's, and 12 inch disks all the way around (front 44).

Power sucked (i live in the mountains), I can still lock up all four tires on dry pavement, stability was on the verge of crap-my-pants with no front swaybar.

I regularly tow my off road trailer full of stuff to go to the dump, or other junk. It weighs 1k loaded, and I hardly notice it, except for the power issue.

CRASH

I have towed a 1940 Ford Pickup on a dolly 300 miles through the mountains of Eastern KY with my XJ (6.5", 33's, 4.10s, 4.0/AX15). It sucked accelerating, of course and the braking was mediocre, but predictable. I regularly tow a utility trailer loaded to the "T" with crap to the dump. I feel the weight, but it is very do-able.

97 XJ 4" lift 30" tires usually load the XJ up and tow a couple of motorcycles. No problems I have found so far. Towed a 13foot enclosed trailer one time for about 500miles loaded with metal I dont know the weight braking was not the best but doable.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I can see that the breaking would be a major concern with much weight behind you, especially with oversized tires and no trailer breaks.

I used to own a built Ranger w/35's and was coming out of the mountains down the highway loaded with camping gear after running the Duzy Ersham trail... had to hit the breaks hard for a stalled vehicle in my lane and had almost nothing.... talk about pucker factor.... I quickly adjusted my driving style.

I regulary tow a tent trailer (loaded to the max--1800 lbs-ish) and for last years NAXJA, I had to tow a hacked up, longarmed XJ on a flatbed trailer from Crescent Junction to Moab......SLOWLY!!!! {I get looks sometimes, but a 35", 6" lifted XJ that's been on it's side a couple of times towing Brent's thing at 45 mph or so, gets a lot of looks}.

The tent trailer tows great and is a good match for the XJ's towing capabilites and limited braking system.

The most I have towed with mine is around 1200 worth of tires on a utility trailer to Paragon. Braking wasn't the best as everyone else has said, but caravaning with a Samurai and 2 2.5L Wranglers, I couldn't really accelerate anyway. Really, the worst part was finding out 10 minutes before we left that the trailer wiring didn't work, leaving us with the CB's to notify the Jeep behind me that we were stopping or slowing down.

I have an OME 2.5 lift and some other garbage, and I tow my 21 foot Sea Ray, which weighs 4700lbs with trailer and fuel. If you know what you are doing and pay attention, it's not an issue. All you have to do is look at the hulking mass of gelcoated fiberglass in the rearview mirror and you are reminded that this is no standard run to the hardware store. Just use your head. Then again, I have dual axles and surge brakes, so the braking is almost better than stock. LOL
:next:

Back