• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA, where the air box was, anyone done it?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Has anyone played with the idea of changing out the single pulley on the PS pump with a double pulley in order to run a second belt and add a compressor where the air box was? I can see some potential clearance issues with the electric fan, but I think I remember someone talking about a good slim electric fan that might make that possible. Any thoughts on that?

Kejtar said:
Has anyone played with the idea of changing out the single pulley on the PS pump with a double pulley in order to run a second belt and add a compressor where the air box was? I can see some potential clearance issues with the electric fan, but I think I remember someone talking about a good slim electric fan that might make that possible. Any thoughts on that?
IIRC, Rabbit had his mounted in the factory battery location, next to his A/C pump, as the mounting brackets were much stronger when built into the factory A/C mounts.

Just do as I did and mount a York next to the factory a/c pump and move the battery where the airbox goes and ad a FIPK kit or similar outfit.
Brett

bretto said:
Just do as I did and mount a York next to the factory a/c pump and move the battery where the airbox goes and ad a FIPK kit or similar outfit.
Brett
Maybe it was yours that I saw at the fling. Whomever it belonged to, it was a nice solid setup.

I dont think it was me Terry. The only time I remember showing it, was when Bob blew out his ball joints when he used my impact wrench and I dont think you were there on PSM with us. Anyhow it is very handy for small jobs instead of turning on my big shop compressor.

BrettM said:
you gonna mount it to the fender or the engine?
hmmm fender......? Of course to the engine!

Okie Terry said:
IIRC, Rabbit had his mounted in the factory battery location, next to his A/C pump, as the mounting brackets were much stronger when built into the factory A/C mounts.
Rabbit made a really interesting bracket and moved whole bunch of pulleys and a really long belt and I'd like to do something somewhat simpler.

bretto said:
Actually that's one of the options that I'm considering if this will not workout, but if it's doable it would mean moving a lot less things and a lot more room to work with.

You have pics of that setup bretto? I would love to see them. Thanks-------Kyle

I only added one pulley from Brad Kilby's company that replaces the stock one. It allows you to run a vbelt and serpentine off the alternator. Simple set up. Only hard part was making a bracket for the pump. I also had to move the stock fan foward 1/4" to clear the York pulley. I'll try to get some pics of the set up tonight for you all.
Brett

Remi
As you might remember i took pictures of 3 XJ's with 3 different Passenger mounted engine driven Air Compressors at the Fall Fling.
If i email them to you could you host them for others to view.
Maybe the owners will chime in and help us with some of the details
Cruizzin_XJ

Cruzzin_XJ said:
Remi
As you might remember i took pictures of 3 XJ's with 3 different Passenger mounted engine driven Air Compressors at the Fall Fling.
If i email them to you could you host them for others to view.
Maybe the owners will chime in and help us with some of the details
Cruizzin_XJ
Send them to [email protected] and I'll get them up.

Search the internet for "on board air." I'm pretty sure I saw one mounted to the drivers side once. I installed mine on the passengers side similar to Kilby, but since moving the fan forward to allow the the v-belt to clear the fan didn't leave much clearance between the fan and the radiator, I passed on the Kilby stuff and instead built my own mount similar to the Kilby, but moved the compressor back a little so a 6 groove pulley on it was in line with the factory serpentine belt. This is all on a '98 by the way. I also added an idler pulley for greater belt contact with the stock AC pump. I had the pump installed for quite awhile, but finally got around to getting the plumbing and wiring part done recently and the whole setup works quite well. I have pics, but no place to host them, so that's about all I can say. Jeff

Back