• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Upgrade - Currie, Rockkrawler, or Other?

jshwank

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98' XJ with an RE 5.5" lift and my stock steering is about maxed out in terms of the TRE's and the angles that they're at on the passenger side and pitman arm. For those of you that are up at this height and above, what steering upgrade would you recommend? I have been looking at the Currie and the Rockkrawler. They both have pro's and con's.

I like the fact that Currie addresses the angles better than the Rockkrawler, but the Rockkrawler seems beefier and is more of a crossover design, but it also uses heims as opposed to TRE's. Anyone have any experience with these or others? I would be very interested in hearing any comments?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I did my own custom OTK (Over the Knuckle), you can try to search for comments. All the pictures I had are gone, I lost my web page, changed ISP's.

I went with hiems and didn't notice it better or worse than TRE's. With Hiems you just have to drill the knuckles out, with tre's you would have to reem them.

If your looking for something simple and bolt on, I say just go for the Currie. To do a good OTK, you also need to relocate and modify your trackbar. This can make a steering project a lot more expensive than the Currie.

I have Currie, and love it. Bolt it on and go. Better articulation than with the stock set-up too.

Greddy

OTK steering, drop pitman arm, raise track bar mount above the axle and you're better than stock. :idea:

Look at www.phatjeeps.com and look at the axles and steering section. Their Canyon Climber system is sweet! I've got it and love it!

Also contact Damien at D&C Extreme - rumor has it they're looking at making something similar to the above. I think it's www.dandcextreme.com

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! Really appreciate them. I went ahead and ordered the new ORO U-Turn steering setup. Close to the setup mentioned by PhatJeeps, but they use a little different mount and TRE's instead of Heims. Their new version coming out is also able to be used with ABS, which for the time being I still have. I will report back after I get it all setup, hopefully next weekend.

Thanks again...

jshwank said:
Thanks for all the replies guys!!! Really appreciate them. I went ahead and ordered the new ORO U-Turn steering setup. Close to the setup mentioned by PhatJeeps, but they use a little different mount and TRE's instead of Heims. Their new version coming out is also able to be used with ABS, which for the time being I still have. I will report back after I get it all setup, hopefully next weekend.

Thanks again...

Hey, how did this end up working out for you?

And Troy, Still liking the phat setup???

i have the currie and it works great - though for the price i would have bought the poision spyder... just cuse the beefier drag link? how many times am i going to hit that? That said - the Currie system is awesome and beef - easy install too

here is my link:
http://www.opiebennett.com/curriesteering.htm

I bought 3/4"-5/8" EXM Steel heims for my Tie Rod, and 3/4"-3/4" heims for my drag link from www.ballisticfabrication.com - only $15/$18 each.
Along with 4 jam nuts, and high misalignment spacers - $120 w/ shipping.
The Chromo are better, but way more $$.

This is a pretty good set up for a budget builder, running 34s or under.
A non-rockcrawler, I'm a trail guy.
I'm gonna have the tube bored and tapped locally, and will probably order an over the knuckle conversion piece from www.bulletproofsteering.com also and their "aerospace" hardware.

Should have around $200-220 in it totally done.

Back