• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint help

MSHarnett

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem with my balljoints. I have already replaced them once with MOOG parts and they are bad again. This was the worst job ever, and I really don't wanna do it a 3rd time, so this time I want everything to be right.
I am thinking they are failing because I have my pinion up to correct driveline vibs. So, that I guess is putting to much stress on the nuckles and joints. Is that right?

If so, what can I do to correct it. I've seen the nuckle conversions, like with the high clearnace steering, is that what I need? This is only for a 6" lift. Should I lower the pinion and sacrifice u-joints?

MSHarnett said:
If so, what can I do to correct it. I've seen the nuckle conversions, like with the high clearnace steering, is that what I need? This is only for a 6" lift. Should I lower the pinion and sacrifice u-joints?

If you prefer changing ball joints over a simple U-joint, well have fun.

If lowering the pinion gives you vibes, just pull the shaft, or opt for a Warn Hub conversion.(best excuse)

Last edited:
Pinion angle has nothing to do with ball-joints!Tire size and backspace are what eats up ball-joints!

So your saying that even though the nuckles aren't perpendicular to the ground, its not going to affect their life? Just want to be sure.

My current setup (in the front) is 33X12.50 on 15X10 with 3.75 backspacing. I am ordering 15X10 4.0 backspacing for street use, then using the 3.75 for wheelin only. Think that'll help at all?

Also would having the front out of aligment mess with the joints also? So should I replace my joints now with adjustables, then get it aligned and the 4.0 rims and be ok?

I suppose castor could contribute to the problem but it would be minimal except at the extreme angles,most cant run anywhere near that and still maintain pinion angles(I only run about 3* castor)!

Back