• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Foamy Oil

Cutch

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed that on the dipstick that the oil appears foamy...kinda brownish...it seems to be at the top end of the stick...when I wipe the the stick and check the oil...it appears normal.

I'm not losing any coolant and have no white exhaust.

It is from condensation, you're not letting the engine really warm up,. It takes about 20 minutes for the oil to reach operating temp and start to cook off the cool moist air that collects in the engine over nite. You will also see it on the bottom of your oil filler cap...

Might think about changing the thermostat. I could be stuck open, thus not letting the engine heat up properly.
Tom

Another thing that causes foamy oil is filling it too full. The crank hits the oil and whips it into a foam. If you had water in the oil, it would look milky. It doesn't take much to make that happen.

It could also result from the crankcase not getting enough ventilation. You did not specify the model, so if you have a PCV make sure it's clean or just replace it. Also the valve cover may need to be removed and cleaned out. Any oil residue in the air filter box? That would be an indicator of poor ventilation.

old_man said:
Another thing that causes foamy oil is filling it too full. The crank hits the oil and whips it into a foam. If you had water in the oil, it would look milky. It doesn't take much to make that happen.

thats what i'm thinkin.. over-filled... check it before you start it in the morning.. who did your last oil change? a garage could easily overfill it...

sidriptide said:
thats what i'm thinkin.. over-filled... check it before you start it in the morning.. who did your last oil change? a garage could easily overfill it...

Most garages don't even know they take 6 quarts, had mine changed *once* [freebie coupon from sunoco] and after quart 5 they guy was sneaking looks underneath to see if it was running out from under there... LOL

I will change the PCV hoses and fittings and check the valve cover and clean if need be.

If it is condensation...where would it becoming from?

Would this be the beginning of a head gasket leaking?

Cutch said:
If it is condensation...where would it becoming from?

Combustion of gasoline generates some moisture as a by-product. Blowby allows this to get into the oil. Also, as the engine cools it draws in outside air, which may lead to some condensation.

I agree the thermostat might not be a bad idea if it hasn't been changed in a while.

It may be worth a $20 used oil analysis just to get a better idea of what is going on.

RichP said:
Most garages don't even know they take 6 quarts, had mine changed *once* [freebie coupon from sunoco] and after quart 5 they guy was sneaking looks underneath to see if it was running out from under there... LOL
You have no idea how true that is (I work in a shop).

RichP said:

Thats really SCARY!! :eek: Since most Quicky shops look in the computer to see which number oil filter, air filter, and fill capacity.

RichP said:
Cracked me up.

Reminded me about a young guy that was hired to do LOF's and PDI's at the Datsun dealer I worked at once upon a time.

He was doing an oil change, drained the pan, screwed the filter on, lowered the car. We used the pneumatic bulk delivery nozzles, the ones where you dial in how many quarts you want to feed, and lock the trigger...

From the next bay, I saw him do a feed, and check the level, funny expression.

Dialed in another round, and checked the level. WTF expression, dial in another round, this time he holds the nozzle clear of the VC, so he can see the oil going in. Yep it's going in. Move a step over to check the level and bam, on his butt in the 12 or so quart puddle on the ground...

Anyways check the level, overfilled is my guess.

--ron

Back