• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock leaf spring arch measurements?

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
My apologies if this has been answered before, but I searched and could not find the answers I am looking for.

What I need to know is, what is the stock arch measurement of a top leaf spring in a stock pack?

The measurement I need is the height from the center of the leaf spring to a line across the bottom of the eyes while the leaf is unloaded. I don't need the measurement from the centering hole, but the actual center of the leaf. (actually, if someone has a measurement from the centering hole, that would be helpful too.)

My service manual does not give this information and I need it for a new leaf pack I am building. I am hoping someone has this measurement and can save me removing my packs to measure it myself.

Thanks a million in advance,
Beej.

Beej said:
My apologies if this has been answered before, but I searched and could not find the answers I am looking for.

What I need to know is, what is the stock arch measurement of a top leaf spring in a stock pack?

The measurement I need is the height from the center of the leaf spring to a line across the bottom of the eyes while the leaf is unloaded. I don't need the measurement from the centering hole, but the actual center of the leaf. (actually, if someone has a measurement from the centering hole, that would be helpful too.)

My service manual does not give this information and I need it for a new leaf pack I am building. I am hoping someone has this measurement and can save me removing my packs to measure it myself.

Thanks a million in advance,
Beej.
I have a pair of used XJ springs outside, and a pair of new Up Country springs in the shed. If I don't forget, I'll put a tape on 'em tomorrow.

Eagle said:
I have a pair of used XJ springs outside, and a pair of new Up Country springs in the shed. If I don't forget, I'll put a tape on 'em tomorrow.
Thanks Eagle, I really appreciate that! I hope its not too much trouble.:loveu:
Beej.

for a 99' I have these measurements for stock

from the center of the front eye to the center of axel 23" following the curve
from the center of the axel to the center of the rear eye 28 5/8" following the curve.

I am guessing eagles will be close to thses I hope

Silverxj2000 said:
for a 99' I have these measurements for stock from the center of the front eye to the center of axel 23" following the curve, from the center of the axel to the center of the rear eye 28 5/8" following the curve.I am guessing eagles will be close to thses I hope
thanks for posting those, I appreciate all the help. I'm not trying to be picky here, but I actually already have those dimensions.
What I am looking for is the measurement of arch, measured vertically from the center of the leaf spring to the imaginary line just below the eyes.
Does that make sense? I wish I had a diagram.
But imagine this, if you cut the eyes off and laid a straightedge ruler lengthwise over the top of the spring (from eye to eye), and then measured the vertical distance from the bottom of the straightedge to the leaf spring center below.
It should likely be in the neighborhood of 1-3" or so I am guessing, but I need the actual measurement so I know how much arch to have my new leafs made with.

Arch is measured from the center of the eyes.

Here's what I got:

Old XJ stock spring (year and mileage unknown):

Eye-to-eye = 49-1/2"
Front (eye to pin) = 23-1/4"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6"

New Up Country spring:

Eye-to-eye = 49"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6-3/4"

Eagle said:
Arch is measured from the center of the eyes.
Here's what I got:
Old XJ stock spring (year and mileage unknown):
Eye-to-eye = 49-1/2"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6"
New Up Country spring:
Eye-to-eye = 49"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6-3/4"
Thank you very much Eagle, enjoy the rep points! Another quick question, what is the distance from the center of the eye to where the leaf spring begins? (just a close guesstimate is all I need) I really do need the arch distance from just below the eyes.
Beej.

Going from memory (because I put everything back in the shed to beat the rain), the front bushing is 2" dia and the rear is 1-1/2" dia.

Brent, you didn't believe me eh? Like I already told you, just get your dad to make it out of 1/4 steel, 47" long and put the center hole 23" from one end and bang it into a 7" arch. I'm telling you, it will work! You've seen my packs, they flex like Jonny's biceps!

Island XJ said:
Brent, you didn't believe me eh? Like I already told you, just get your dad to make it out of 1/4 steel, 47" long and put the center hole 23" from one end and bang it into a 7" arch. I'm telling you, it will work! You've seen my packs, they flex like Jonny's biceps!
mm hmm. From what Eagle wrote above, I think the 7" arch might provide too much lift. Anyway, he's already made it (last night) and he put 6" in it. You also told me to have him form it while its hot, but from what I have seen, and from what Dad says, they need to be cold formed. And.... I have seen your packs.....along with all of the other jerry-rigged crap lying around your yard too. What the hell is that Civic-bodied monster anyway? And that double wide XJ project is evidence enough for me of what your advice is worth! I don't want no frankenjeep!!!
:scared:

Back