• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Hubs and Backspacing

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
For anyone running the Warn hub conversion up front - can you give me your tire size/lift/backspacing?

I'm in the process of doing it, and can't figure out which backspacing to run for a 33x10.5 or possible 33x12.5. Heck, I may just hack up the fenders and go to a 35x12.5". Currently @ 5.5" lift.

I've already got some 3.75" bs ready to roll, but may switch to a 4.5-4.75" depending on the success and/or horror stories.

TIA!

XJack said:
For anyone running the Warn hub conversion up front - can you give me your tire size/lift/backspacing?

I'm in the process of doing it, and can't figure out which backspacing to run for a 33x10.5 or possible 33x12.5. Heck, I may just hack up the fenders and go to a 35x12.5". Currently @ 5.5" lift.

I've already got some 3.75" bs ready to roll, but may switch to a 4.5-4.75" depending on the success and/or horror stories.

TIA!

I ran 3.25" BS when I had the Warn kit, but with 7.5" of lift and 33's. You should be OK with 3.75 if you're willing to do some trimming. More BS would be better if you can get it, if you want to run the bigger tires on the 5.5" lift.

I'll be ordering my warn hubs soon, so I have given this topic some thought as well. Currently I have 33x12.50 tires on 15x8's with 4.5" BS. I wish they were a little further out - 3.75"BS would be perfect. However, the Warn hubs increase the track by 3/4" on each side, so by keeping my 4.5"BS wheels they will stick out exactly the same with the hubs as if I had 3.75" BS. (4.5 - .75 = 3.75)

Even a little further out would be OK I think (like if you used a 4.0" BS wheel) but the further they stick out the more fender trimming you will likely have to do. Goatman used 3.25"BS??? Wow that is pretty far out. Any pics by chance?

Goatman, I'd also like to see pics of the 3.25.

I'm thinking 4.5 would be perfect, considering it'll wind up @ 3.75.

PA has flare laws, so I don't wanna go too wide - will be running TJ rear flares and need everything legal. Just can't see if the 3.75 - .75 = 3.25" will get me where I need to be.

I'm running 5.25 backspacing on AR Bajas with 31's and 4.5 inches of lift with no fender trimming and I rub.... so much so that when really flexed I ripped off both flares and wrinkled my driver side fender. I will be doing some trimming soon... better late then never.

As Eric stated above the warn hubs are suppose to add 3/4 of an inch. Now you would think I would be at 4.5 bs with the hubs which should be perfect...not so, after all I think it's more then 3/4 of an inch.

Brian T.

Paul S said:
Which Warn hub conversion are you going with? The 5 on 4.5" hub adds about 3/4" per side, the 5 on 5.5" hub doesn't add anything.

Paul

I'm running the 5 on 4.5.

Also, according to Warn and everyone else's website, both kits add 3/4" per side to ther track width.

XJack said:
I'm running the 5 on 4.5.

Also, according to Warn and everyone else's website, both kits add 3/4" per side to ther track width.

True, but incorrect. The 5.5" hub conversion does not increase track at all, which is why I switched from Warn 4.5" hubs to their 5.5" hubs.
I run 4 7/16" BS wheels BTW.
Paul

Paul S said:
True, but incorrect. The 5.5" hub conversion does not increase track at all, which is why I switched from Warn 4.5" hubs to their 5.5" hubs.
I run 4 7/16" BS wheels BTW.
Paul

Ok - seems odd, but humor me for a minute.

Let's say I decided to swap to the 5.5" - what's the difference? Spindles and rotors should be the same, different hubs and premium lockouts? Are the bearings different?

Just seems odd that the larger hub would be thinner than the "basic" hub.

Thanks!

XJack said:
Ok - seems odd, but humor me for a minute.

Let's say I decided to swap to the 5.5" - what's the difference? Spindles and rotors should be the same, different hubs and premium lockouts? Are the bearings different?

Just seems odd that the larger hub would be thinner than the "basic" hub.

Thanks!

All the parts are different.
Different spindles, rotors, hubs, locking hub, all the spacers.

The 5.5 kit is designed off the CJ stuff, hence the use of the CJ rotor hat is not as deep as the XJ/TJ rotor hat, so not as thick of spacers are used to keep everything in alignment.

The 4.5 kit was designed to work with as many components off the XJ/TJ so thick spacers were needed to keep everything aligned.

The 5.5 kit is nicer in my opinion, better locking hub, better alignment of parts, and so on.

BUT the 5.5 is more expensive due to the need of new rims and tires most likely. (Go 16")

If you go 35s or bigger I would go with the 5.5 kit.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
If you go 35s or bigger I would go with the 5.5 kit.

Man, I've gone back and forth in my mind about the 4.5" vs 5.5" hubs with 35" tires. You mention going with 16" wheels. Is that because the rotor is larger than the stock XJ rotors? If not, why go with a 16" wheel?

I've wondered if using these hubs, I could also swap to WJ brakes, but judging by your old ORGS article on the subject, it seems like it might be too much of a project for me at this time...

The main thing that has sold me on the 4.5" hubs was that with alloy shafts and a 760, OX,or CTM ujoint, the hubs would become the fuse (usually) and would be easily repairable on the trail. With the 5.5" hubs that seems to put the R&P in a precarious spot as being the weak link. I've heard about the "hub fuse", but for some reason they don't seem very widely used or popular based on what I've read on line.

Because many guys (especially TJ guys ) are having good luck with running the 4.5" hubs with 35's, I am leaning to go that way at this time.

Any further comments on this would be much appreciated.

Both kits are more than strong enough for 35's.
With the 5.5" kit you're so unlikely to break anyhting that you'll probably never find the weak link.
I'd go with the 5.5" kit for 2 main reasons: it keeps ujoints, etc. in alignment, & it doesn't increase track width.
The WJ conversion works with either kit.
Paul

EricsXJ said:
Man, I've gone back and forth in my mind about the 4.5" vs 5.5" hubs with 35" tires. You mention going with 16" wheels. Is that because the rotor is larger than the stock XJ rotors? If not, why go with a 16" wheel?

I like the 16" wheel for the ability to go with bigger rotors and also I like the way the shorter sidewall of the tire works especially at 35" tires. The sidewalls don't fold during turning as much and you can stay on line better.

hinkley

Back