• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need to Convert My '97 XJ to ABS

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
XJ Fans,

I want to convert my wife's 4x4 XJ Sport to ABS for the obvious safety benefits associated w/this technology. I'm trying to learn all the hardware I'll need to perform this conversion so I can start contacting the salvage yards, NAXJA classifieds and dealers (where necessary) to obtain the parts I'll need.

The list of parts I'll need at each wheel is the easy part and so are items like the ABS module & pump. I am not certain if my engine controller can be used or if I'll need to obtain a new/used computer & harness to perform these enhancements.

Can anyone offer insight into my dilemma? Has anyone attempted this?

Rick

Rac, i'd talk to ryurabbit.....he'd prolly be your best insight/source person, but thats just my opinion

Ugh...are those safety benefits really as obvious as thought? ABS isn't really the cure-all to stopping problems, and in the case of the XJ it means going to the weakest rear axle offered (the D35) in order to do it.

I don't remember anybody ever putting ABS on, it's always been taking it off.

I suspect that you'll be farther ahead to locate a used XJ with ABS and sell your current one.

My suggestion would be getting a factory service manual and possibly the ABS suppliment and start there. Good luck at finding used parts..... 97+ xj's with ABS are impossible to find. For my driver I looked for 3 months at over 20 and did not find one.
:peace:
Travis

I removed the ABS on my ’91 after it failed leaving me with nothing but an emergency brake merging into a 4 lane road. Not a fun experience and I don’t ever intend to repeat it. If you REALLY want ABS you would be better off selling your current XJ and buying a new one that has it. Removing my ABS was a PITA; I can only imagine how bad it would be to try to install one.

My suggestion: don't try to install it. You may be able to install all the components, but then you should also make it function properly. Considering all the things that can go wrong (e.g.: tone ring slightly displaced, spacing between sensor and tone ring incorrect), that may be quite cumbersome.

If the system does not function properly, the vehicle is less safe as compared to a non ABS-vehicle!

"I removed the ABS on my ’91 after it failed leaving me with nothing but an emergency brake..."

A failure of the ABS system will not result in losing the brakes. If you lost the brakes it is because of some other failure in the brake system, which may have included the ABS, but was not caused by the ABS failing.

dmillion said:
"I removed the ABS on my ’91 after it failed leaving me with nothing but an emergency brake..."

A failure of the ABS system will not result in losing the brakes. If you lost the brakes it is because of some other failure in the brake system, which may have included the ABS, but was not caused by the ABS failing.

On a '91 it's possible. It has the notorious Bendix ABS-9 or ABS-10 system. If the ABS-pump/motor assembly breakes down, there is now power assist.

I know from experience!

Leave the ABS out in my opinion. I removed mine in my 1999 XJ. When I lifted it, I didn't want to monkey around with lengthening the ABS wires so I cut them out and removed the fuses for the ABS computer. Now that I'm swapping in a D44, I wouldn't have been able to use it anyway. Don't torment yourself with the extra parts that can go bad on you.

Trade me a 8.8 rear axle with 4.10 gears and disc brakes and you can have my '96 d35 axle w/ 3.55's, Trac Loc, etc.

Seriously, look for junk yard axles w/ ABS. Might be the cheaper route. Not worth the effort. Have her take a winter driving course, that'll teach her how to brake in foul conditions.

My 2 cents worth is that you should consider putting disk brakes on the rear instead. You will get a significant improvement in braking and it will be easier to install.

If you want to go the ABS route, junkyard ZJ's could a source of parts. I think they came stock with ABS. Should be much easier to find than XJ's with abs.

Good luck with the project.

Dave

'01 XJ (with abs)

RAVC1 said:
XJ Fans,

I want to convert my wife's 4x4 XJ Sport to ABS for the obvious safety benefits associated w/this technology. I'm trying to learn all the hardware I'll need to perform this conversion so I can start contacting the salvage yards, NAXJA classifieds and dealers (where necessary) to obtain the parts I'll need.

The list of parts I'll need at each wheel is the easy part and so are items like the ABS module & pump. I am not certain if my engine controller can be used or if I'll need to obtain a new/used computer & harness to perform these enhancements.

Can anyone offer insight into my dilemma? Has anyone attempted this?

Rick
Just get big tires so that the brakes will be working in "red neck ABS" mode.
Ok, all kidding aside, I think that since you're talking about installing it for safety reasons it's something that you'd best leave to a certified shop (if even). Look at it this way: if you put it in and mess something up, things might turn out bad (imagine braking like you would in an ABS equipped vehicle, only to find out that ABS didn't work and you just locked up your brakes.)

Dave DE said:
My 2 cents worth is that you should consider putting disk brakes on the rear instead. You will get a significant improvement in braking and it will be easier to install.
How is getting disk brakes better then getting ABS? Disk brakes will end up giving more stopping power, while the ABS will be working against accidental lockups and such. Those are two different animals.

Good point, Kejtar. They are two different animals. I was thinking of improved stopping rather than improved control.

nevermind,
Dave

Disc brakes will work out, just gotta go with some wider tires and good ones at that to prevent them from locking up.
Heres the best ABS I know of, well rather then having a real ABS system.
Have your radio turned down, give plenty of space to other vehicles, and dont slam on your brakes. If the brakes lock up ease off of them a little, one reason to not have the radio turned way up so you can hear them.
Another thing, will the XJ ever be off pavement? ABS doesnt work out on unpaved roads, your stopping distance greatly increases.
There is an article on the net some place someone used in these forums, just cant remeber it at the moment.
I dont know much about these things, but people have pointed out that if something isnt done exaclty how its suppose to, it will cause more problems.
Its better to sell what you have and get one with ABS.
Also what you gotta look at is interfernce and proper instulation for the wiring. Something as small as an aftermarket radio or cell phone, could make your ABS not function. If you do decide to try and change over, you need to do look at that.

RAVC1 said:
XJ Fans,

I want to convert my wife's 4x4 XJ Sport to ABS for the obvious safety benefits associated w/this technology. .

Rick

Other then not having your tires lock up, which in fact can still happen.
There are none. It gives people a false since of security. You cant stop any faster then without ABS. Its still prone to failure. But mainly it gives people a false since of security and think they can follow closer, go faster etc etc.

Oh yeah I forgot.

Dont look at getting used parts for an ABS swap, dont do that. The interals most likely have siezed up by now, from them not being used. Something I learned watching motor week was, that if you dont every once in a while try to lock up your wheels, your ABS sensors and what not, will seize up and no longer work when you need them to. So buy new parts, you dont know what shape the old stuff is in, it might have worked before, but may not now. Then again new stuff will be very expensive, but the only option you really should choose.

If you do instead decide to go with an XJ that has ABS, make sure it works.

Just to reiterate a point made earlier, they won't work on your 8-1/4 rear. You will need to swap diff/axles to the dana 35.

Seems like more trouble than it would be worth. Have you considered a GC?

Back