• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck caliper: expensive experience

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
Just a short message that may help you guys save some money.
I own a '91 XJ and for some time I had minor problems with the front brakes. They used to squeak frequently and occasionally there would clunk when braking at low speed, e.g. while parking.

I had them checked by a professional shop, but they couldn't find anything.

Last week, my wife came home with the car and when she stopped, smoke came whirling from behind the left front wheel.

I went to the shop immediately and the diagnosis was bad news: the caliper was stuck (perhaps for some time already) and consequently the brake pads were worn completely and the rotor had been damaged as well and was too thin to be repaired.

All in all, the repair cost me approx $ 750 to replace all the necessary parts (partly because I decided to get the right front wheel fixed as well).

My advice: if your brakes squeak or clunk: check the caliper more than once to be sure that there is nothing wrong!

i had a left front brake stuck when i bought it. smoke was pourin out and everything and it was very very hot. i figured it was the caliper and replaced ot for 30 bucks. rotors and pads were like bran new so i didnt have to replace those.

only in the netherlands would you pay $750.00. You rdollar must be the equivalent of the Peso or something.

Thats F'n insane man... either that or the tariff on parts is a killer...

Geeze, we just did my sons TJ this summer, pass side caliper seized, bought two stuffed calipers, two new rotors, total cost was $145 for parts. Then, 10 lug nuts, two caliper bolts and 40 min of work including bleeding , cost $145 plus one hour of good conversation between my son and I, couple of coffees. I like to do stuff like that in pairs, the other side usually follows in short order..

Sadly the price of parts in europe is way over the top, Its at least dollar for British pound + shipping + taxes which makes everything a minimum of 3 times what you guys pay.
Still wouldn't change my Jeep though!!

Hey
I had the same problem this summer on the Sweden offroad tour. Two diffrant times left and right one in stockholm (right) once in sunsvall (left). I just lubed the pistons and pumped them in and out. A week after I got home the left again. so i went to work and did a brake fluid flush and I didnt have to rebuild them yet. the fluid was very dirty not clear.

The $750 was mainly due to the new parts. For $600 I got on BOTH wheels
- new brake hose
- new rotor
- new brake pads
- revision set for the caliper.

Indeed, it is a lot of money: Jeep parts are ridiculously expensive here in Europe.

On the other hand: tha car is mainly used by my pregnant wife to transport our 2 year old son. That's about three reasons for me not to take any risks and to use new parts.

Agreed on doing it right for the wife and kids,

BUT that is still alot of money for brakes!

What do you guys pay for gas??????

hinkley

hinkley you dont want to know.....price per litre here in germany its 1.17 euro....which is the equivalent of a 1.50 a quart.....on post thru aafes its 2.04 a gallon.........if i want jeep parts. i'll have dad buy em and ship em to my apo addy, providing its not over 70 lbs........so you may want to check into doing something like that for future reference, headache....it's what i've had to do a time or two

Ladywolf: thanks for the suggestion.

Gas is even more expensive here in the Netherlands: it's around €1,30/liter at the moment.

Considering that the price of gas here consists of approx 65% TAX (yes!) and the usual MPG of an XJ, that makes every Cherokee owner in this country a true benefactor for society!

Back